Nano server cannot detect network card in virtualbox or vmware workstation! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends,

I am new to nano server. Really i am sure that its a wonderfull os that microsoft created.

But unfortunately, I have a problem with it. When i create a vm in virtualbox or vmware workstation, it cannot detect network card to config. I know that it should detect it to set ip. Does nano server cannot run in virtualbox or vmware workstation?????

please help me to resolve this issue.

Really thanks a lot

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:42 AM

Answers

• Used the Deploy Nano Server tool to create an ISO for nano server install and installed that on VMware Workstation Player 12 ok. Got network access.

Selected the -OEMDrivers option (install Core server drivers) so had those and as Core server installs ok guess that is required for VMware VM or others when creating nano server install media.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 3:40 PM

All replies

• Did you install the VMware or VirtualBox Drivers before deploying Nano?

Best regards,

Mike

• Edited by Srv-02 Friday, November 18, 2016 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 12:33 AM
  • From what I have seen until now, Nano Server runs best on Hyper-V.

As much as I tried I couldn't run It on other platforms.

You can run it on Windows 10 Hyper-V easily or Windows Server Hyper-V.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Used the Deploy Nano Server tool to create an ISO for nano server install and installed that on VMware Workstation Player 12 ok. Got network access.

Selected the -OEMDrivers option (install Core server drivers) so had those and as Core server installs ok guess that is required for VMware VM or others when creating nano server install media.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Yes, this installs the drivers for physical deployment, instead of the virtual ones which are obviously only for Hyper-V.
    Friday, December 2, 2016 3:04 PM