SharePoint Service 3.0 Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having trouble restoring SharePoint Services 3.0 from a back up to another server.

I have an existing Sharepoint Service 3.0 (SP2) running on a Windows 2003 server and would like to move this exact Farm over to another Windows 2003 server (different computer name). Whenever I restore using the Central Administration, I get an errors restoring the farm. Errors restoring WSS_Content and WSS_Search database.

Errors: 

1.) Object WSS_Content_ServerName (previous name: WSS_Content) failed in event OnRestore. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SqlException: Unable to open the physical file "C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL \DATA\WSS_Content_ServerName.mdf". Operating system error 2: "2(The system cannot find the file specified.)". The database to be restored was named 'WSS_Content'. Reissue the statement using the WITH REPLACE option to overwrite the 'WSS_Content_ServerName ' database. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL \DATA\WSS_Content_ServerName_log.ldf" may be incorrect.

2.) Object WSS_Search_ServerName (previous name: WSS_Search_ServerName_41bff26eeee6443e8658ac1783a65bda) failed in event OnRestore. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SqlException: The database to be restored was named 'WSS_Search_ServerName_41bff26eeee6443e8658ac1783a65bda'. Reissue the statement using the WITH REPLACE option to overwrite the 'WSS_Search_ServerName' database. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I've messed around with this for a week now and unable to find a solution.  My intended goal is to restore SharePoint on this other server so that I can run it temporarily until I upgraded the existing server to Windows 2011.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:33 AM

Answers

• There seems to be an additional space character behind the "MSSQL" part in the path of the physical files.

I assume this is causing the problem. Please double check in your SQL server configuration for the default location of new databases. I assume there is a problem.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, November 25, 2011 2:41 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:04 AM

All replies

• There seems to be an additional space character behind the "MSSQL" part in the path of the physical files.

I assume this is causing the problem. Please double check in your SQL server configuration for the default location of new databases. I assume there is a problem.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, November 25, 2011 2:41 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:04 AM
  • I am having the exact same error. I cant seem to find this additional space in the above error code that your refering to. This is the error statement I get from my restore.

Object INTRANET2013test (previous name: INTRANET) failed in event OnRestore. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SqlException: Directory lookup for the file & quot;D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test.mdf" failed with the operating
    system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.). File & #39;INTRANET' cannot be restored to
    & #39;D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. Directory lookup for the file
    & quot;D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test_log.ldf" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.). File
    & #39;INTRANET_log' cannot be restored to & #39;D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify
    a valid location for the file. Problems were identified while planning for the EESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:13 PM