none
[Project Server 2010] Maximum Number of Job processor Threads in the queue settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a farm with SharePoint 2010 and Project Server 2010 installed. The farm contains:

• 2 web front end servers
    • 3 application servers
    • Each servers has 4 processors
    • The SQL databases are installed on our database servers.
    • The Microsoft Project Server Queue Service 2010 is started on the 2 web front end servers and on 1 applicative server.

We have two instances of PWA are installed on this farm.

I have calculated that the number of availabe processors we could have on this farm is : 4 processors X 3 application servers (the ones where the project queue is started) = 12. Is that correct? I'm not sure of the definition of the applicaton server that is used in this article )

If I set the Maximum Number of Job Processor Threads (in the queue setting) to 2 per queue and per instance. We could have 2 Job processor X 3 application servers X 2 pwa instance = 12 threads to operate at the same time, is it correct?

If yes, do you think this is a too high number of threads?

Thanks for your help

Aline

Monday, December 15, 2014 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Aline,

These settings are for fine tuning the servers, and are only one of many performance parameters.  If you notice the response from the server is slow, regarding Queues, then I would think about amending these upwards, but also with a careful eye on processor utilisation.  If you up the thread count and the system isn't any more performant, then I would look elsewhere for perf improvements.  Before you do anything of course, baseline the performance of the system.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:53 PM