none
Why does actual finish date stretch my actual hours RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Project users,

Can i control the behavior of the Actual finish field?

My scenario:

A tasks lasts for 10 days but only has 5 hours of work.
    So I plan all of this and add my actual hours via Project Server's timesheet and add the final 5th hour on Tuesday.
    So my % complete is 100%, remaining work 0, but the activity is still not finished.

So I added the actual finish field, because I wanted somehow to mark my task completed. I set the Actual finish field to be Friday.
    By doing so, Project automatically stretched my final hour on Tuesday, to 0.25h on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 

Is there a way to avoid this?
    I just want to have 1 hour on Tuesday and nothing on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. But still I want to make it somehow clear when the activity was finished. Maybe i am just waiting for some confirmation, but nobody is working on it.

With best regards,
    Petar

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Petar,

Not sure to understand: why would you set the actual finish on Friday since you want to have work only until tuesday, and nothing on wed, thurday and friday? Setting the actual finish on a given day means that you'll have work until this day. When you set a given actual finish day and you still have remaining work, MS Project will spread this remaining work on the remaining days. For example, if you extend of 2 days a task with 1 day of work left, MS Project will put 0.5 day of work on each on the 2 remaining days.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Using Resource Usage view you can edit the planned hours.  I your case, put a 1 for Monday and 0 out the remaining fields.  Also I would set my task type to Fixed Work.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Because, we have situations like this.

Sometimes, work will be finished on Tuesday, but the activity will be on hold until Friday.
    Then I want to mark the task to be completed on Friday. But I dont want Project to stretch my final work hour from Tuesday to Friday. I want it to say 0 work hours on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Is this possible?
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:29 AM