none
DPM Off site backup recommendations for all workloads without using tapes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm looking for recommendations for off site backups avoiding tapes if at all possible.

My scenario is as follows:

We are soon to be migrating our backups to DPM 2012 R2 and will be backing up all workloads to disk, this will be around 10TB initially but could ramp up to over 30TB as more workloads are brought in. 

What we would like to do is remove the need for tapes and shove our backups offsite onto some sort of cloud storage. We've looked at the obvious Azure online option but unfortunately this doesn't support all workloads (just File, SQL and Hyper-V).

We would need a decent retention period (7 years).

We'd like to go as direct as possible to the cloud from DPM without the need to locally double up or stage.

I'm very interested to know what's out there and what are people using. 

Cheers!

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:45 AM

Answers

• Yes but...

As it's going to be writing potentially GB/TB of data to the VTL file it might not be the most efficient to go directly across the cloud. There are lots of issues latency, speed, contention, etc. to take in to consideration. Most of the Cloud Storage appliances like StorSimple, BridgeStor, etc. have the smarts of cope with variables such as above. Once the complete file is on disk moving it to the cloud is relatively easy.

I agree that you'll be duplicating data but it would be far safer to write locally then move to the cloud.

A secondary is a good option too but as you're looking for long term retention, 7 years, then it may be very tricky with file data due to the 64 VSS snapshot limit. For other workloads it would be fine but would require a significant capital investment to create the infrastructure as DPM doesn't play well with new features like Storage Spaces.

• Marked as answer by [Malco] Friday, June 27, 2014 4:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

there ar many ways to do this.

Rent a plac in a datacenter, put a Server with DPM in it, an do your own clod Backup.

For this solution there a few Questions; How often you want to backup your Data to cloud, once a week, once a month, once a year....?

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Another option is to use a Virtual Tape Library for long term retention. That way you can archive your VTL files to cheaper storage. You could use a StorSimple device from Microsoft to achieve this and that will store your VTL files in Azure over time. If you needed to restore files then you'd need to pull the VTL down from Azure.

Just a quick note though you can't use StorSimple as an iSCSI target for DPM but for VTL files will be fine. You could potentially install the VTL on the DPM server but I'd recommend putting the VTL on a separate box.

Friday, May 16, 2014 10:24 AM
  • Hi Seidlm

Thanks for the input, using a DPM DR secondary might well be an option. I'm basically looking for a replacement for tapes and would be performing monthly backups offsite.

Cheers

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:11 PM
  • Thank Ryan, VTL could be an option too but I'm looking to avoid onsite data duplication, we would already be backing up to disk with DPM and want to avoid backing up to disk again. I've not got much experience of VTL's, is it possible to back up directly to the web using one?

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:15 PM
  • Yes but...

As it's going to be writing potentially GB/TB of data to the VTL file it might not be the most efficient to go directly across the cloud. There are lots of issues latency, speed, contention, etc. to take in to consideration. Most of the Cloud Storage appliances like StorSimple, BridgeStor, etc. have the smarts of cope with variables such as above. Once the complete file is on disk moving it to the cloud is relatively easy.

I agree that you'll be duplicating data but it would be far safer to write locally then move to the cloud.

A secondary is a good option too but as you're looking for long term retention, 7 years, then it may be very tricky with file data due to the 64 VSS snapshot limit. For other workloads it would be fine but would require a significant capital investment to create the infrastructure as DPM doesn't play well with new features like Storage Spaces.

• Marked as answer by [Malco] Friday, June 27, 2014 4:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:01 AM