none
Exchange 2007 -- mail.que too big RRS feed

• Question

• Alerted by disk space monitoring, I've found that this file is growing to a large size.

The enviornment is a SBS 2008 server so Exchange and AD are on the same server.

The "Get-Queue" command shows that

Identity                                              DeliveryType Status MessageCount NextHopDomain
    --------                                              ------------ ------ ------------ -------------
    SBS01\17289                                        MapiDelivery Active 3396         SBS01.bluecorp.local
    SBS01\Submission                                   Undefined    Ready  0            Submission

What's up with these 3396 messages that are supposedly in the queue and not going anywhere? There is no issues with mail deliveries to/from this exchange server.

How can I inspect what's in the queue to see if its safe to delete or not?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The mail.que file temporarily stores all emails before it is delivered to the target.

You mentioned that mail flow worked well, but there were 3396 items in the queue.

If possible, I recommend you stop the Microsoft Exchange Transport service temporarily and check if the number of items in the queue decreases.

If it doesn't reduce and mail flow isn't interrupted by these queued messages, you can get rid of the old mail.que file and get a new one.

Here is a related article for your reference.

http://msexchangeguru.com/2011/06/02/mail-que/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 1, 2014 5:40 AM