none
Default-First-Site-Name Renamed, can i delete site from DNS ?

Question

• Hi, 

I renamed the Default-Firs-Site-Name with a new name that identify the city of site.

I look that in _msdcs delegated zone of primary zone, in section sites exist the new-site-name and default-firs-site-name.

Can i remove it?

Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Based on my test in the lab environment, the old DEFAULT-FIRST-SITE-NAME is aotumatically changed into the new name (default-test), please see:

You could run the following command to restart netlogon service and then re-open DNS manager console to see if the old one is gone.
    net stop Netlogon
    net start Netlogon
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 16, 2016 5:49 AM
  • Hi

Agree to Wendy when you rename the site name,records should be automatically updates.As mentioned restart netlogon service and then run "ipconfig /flushdns","ipconfig /resigterdns" then soon restart dns service,check the records updates.

Note:You should never manually delete anything on a Domain Controller.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, December 16, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Hi, i restart the netlogon services but in _site appear old name (Default-First-Site-Name) and new-name.

Best regards

Friday, December 16, 2016 10:21 PM
  • Did you already set scavenging of stale DNS records on the server? It may be related to out of date site specific SRV records...

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, December 17, 2016 10:33 AM
  • Did you already set scavenging of stale DNS records on the server? It may be related to out of date site specific SRV records...

The aging/scavenging is enabled.. but the old record in Default-First-Site-Name won't deleted automatically. I found in other threads that i can delete manually.. right?
    Friday, December 30, 2016 1:19 PM