Windows 10 Pro 64-bit — Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

•  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

OS Build 16299.64

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Pro 1709 (Fall Creators Update), and I have now reached a standstill with Windows Updates: some key updates continually fail to install, specifically the following, for example.

• KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)
    • KB4054517 (OS Build 16299.125)
    • KB4051963 (OS Build 16299.98)
    • Update for Windows (4073290) — I have AMD chipset

Installing and rollback takes a considerable amount of time, so I am keen to identify a root cause and resolve.  I have followed all the troubleshooting routes, all the official MS tools, yet nothing resolves the issue.

I have noted in several forums that these are known problems and MS are working on a fix, yet I do not know if this is current information or not.

In the interim I am using the “wushowhide.diagcab” tool to exclude these updates.  However, Windows Update now tells me : "Your device is at risk because it’s out of date and missing important security and quality updates." etc.

Does anybody know if this issue is fixed, still outstanding and / or how I proceed?

Many thanks,

Peter

Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

Does the issue occur during download process or installation process?

Are there any error messages occur in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System)?

I would be appreciate if you could provide more information to specify the issue, but at first we could try the following general steps to fix the normal update issue.
    1. Run built-in windows troubleshooting tool:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\ System and Security\Fix problems with Windows Update\Advanced\Run as administrator:
    2. Run System Update Readiness Tool to fix the issue automatically.
    3.Run the command “sfc /scannow” with administrator right to check the health of system files. 
    4. Perform a Clean Boot and manually update again.
    5. Disable firewall and antivirus temporarily.
    6.Download and reinstall this update package from Windows update catalog.

Please feedback the result to us if the issue persists.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by mr_psmwin10 Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:18 AM

All replies

• Have you run Windows Update troubleshooter?

Try restart your PC and check Windows Update again.

Saturday, February 3, 2018 3:00 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Does the issue occur during download process or installation process?

Are there any error messages occur in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System)?

I would be appreciate if you could provide more information to specify the issue, but at first we could try the following general steps to fix the normal update issue.
    1. Run built-in windows troubleshooting tool:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\ System and Security\Fix problems with Windows Update\Advanced\Run as administrator:
    2. Run System Update Readiness Tool to fix the issue automatically.
    3.Run the command “sfc /scannow” with administrator right to check the health of system files. 
    4. Perform a Clean Boot and manually update again.
    5. Disable firewall and antivirus temporarily.
    6.Download and reinstall this update package from Windows update catalog.

Please feedback the result to us if the issue persists.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by mr_psmwin10 Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:18 AM
  • Hello, this appears to have resolved the problem.  Many thanks.  I shall retain this information for future use.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    • Edited by mr_psmwin10 Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:26 AM
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:26 AM