none
Remote Domain Controller - replicate only changes.

Question

• A quick rundown - we need to create a remote traversal domain, but there are *POLITICS* between our host and the host of the remote domain, so we're not allowed to create a domain member onsite. We need to ship backups of the servers offsite.

Is there a way to replicate out only the changes made by Windows Server Backup?  I know that it creates a single VHD per volume, but I'm wondering if there's a way to mount the volumes and copy out only the changes, rather than the full backup.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:21 PM

All replies

• I've gotten to the point where I can do a mklink into the shadow volume on the drive but I can't get access to it.
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, in fact Windows Server Backup, by default, creates incremental backups that function like full backups (you can recover any item from a single backup, but the backup will only occupy space needed for an incremental backup). All file/folder backups (except the first one) are incremental backups where only the changed files are read and transferred to the backup storage location.

What do you mean you want to copy only changes for the backup?

Backup versions are kept in the shadow copies on the backup target. they can not be copied using file copy. So it is not suggested you copy the backup from one storage location to another.

If you also need to access the backup in remote location. You could consider to save the backup on network location.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 15, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 18, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:07 AM