none
Slow tape backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just rebuilt my primary Data Protection Manager 2010 server and spent the 2 weeks getting everything consistency checked. Now I am getting slow tape performance. The tape drives and raid are the same as before, only the server hardware changed. The tapes drives and SAN are fibre attached. It has taken 3h 55m to backup 264,000 MB. It should be a lot quicker than that and it used to be a lot quicker than that.

Any ideas where I can look to find the issue? I have two tape libraries attached to the server and it is happening to both so I am assuming it is something at the disk end. Just as an aside, does the compression option in long term retention control software compression or hardware? If you were to get that to off, I would assume the hardware compression would still work?

Best wishes

Michael

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Don't have much thoughts about the perf issue except to check drivers since you have a new server and o.s. install.   However, the DPM option to enable compression is hardware compression, not software.  DPM sends ioctl to the tape drive to enable compression, if the drive supports HW compression, the data will be compressed by the tape drive. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:30 PM