none
Can not complete Project Server 2010 installation due to SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard failure on database exception RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to install Project Server on a machine which already has Sharepoint Server 2010 installed. However, when running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard step, I get a database error and the installation does not complete. The log relevant part is listed at the end of this post.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks a lot!

12/02/2010 17:19:30  11  INF              Bootstrapping upgrade by calling SPManager.Initialized() with flags [SingleClickInstall].

12/02/2010 17:19:30  11  INF            Leaving function TaskCommon.TraceToPsconfigLogAndUpgradeManagerLog

12/02/2010 17:19:30  11  INF            The parameter upgradesessionid is chosen, so returning the value as 5802f4ec-a245-4d08-a788-06d50b75c99a

12/02/2010 17:20:16  11  ERR            Task upgradebootstrap has failed with an unknown exception 

12/02/2010 17:20:16  11  ERR            Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Access to table dbo.AllDocVersions is blocked because the signature is not valid.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior, SqlQueryData monitoringData, Boolean retryForDeadLock)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, Boolean retryForDeadLock)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.WyukonToSqlExpress.DatabaseInfo.DatabaseUnderSizeLimit(SqlSession session, Int32 mblimit)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.WyukonToSqlExpress.DatabaseInstanceInfo.ProcessDatabaseList(SqlConnectionStringBuilder oldConfigDbConnStringBuilder, String configDatabaseName)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.WyukonToSqlExpress.GetMigrationDatabasesList(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configDbConnectionStringBuilder, String configDatabaseName, ArrayList& oldDatabaseInstances)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.WyukonToSqlExpress.Run()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.BootStrap(Guid sessionId, SPUpgradeOperationFlags flags)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeBootstrapTask.Run()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

12/02/2010 17:20:16  11  INF            Entering function Common.BuildExceptionMessage

12/02/2010 17:20:16  11  INF              Entering function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString

12/02/2010 17:20:16  11  INF                Resource id to be retrieved is ExceptionInfo for language English (United States)

Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Michael,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I've tried but it the installation still failed with the same error.

I decided to create a new virtual machine and start from scratch and it's working now.

Cheers!

Joao
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a SP specific error, what version of SQL are you running please?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I'm using SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM. 

Running the command SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

It returns: 

10.50.1600.1 RTM Enterprise Edition (64-bit)

Best Regards!

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Are you sure the SharePoint application pools have access to the SQL server.  For quick troubleshooting of this, give make the Farm Account, and any of the application pools accounts and service accounts  DB_owner for all 4 of the project server databases.  If the databases haven't been created yet, give the SQL Server roles of dbcreator, sysadm, and securityadmin.

Try running the wizard.  If it works, return security model back to how it was original was.  Then look at the ownerhip of the database created.  This will telly you the account that was used to create the databases and it should be the db_owner.  Adjust accordingly.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hello Michael,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I've tried but it the installation still failed with the same error.

I decided to create a new virtual machine and start from scratch and it's working now.

Cheers!

Joao
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:12 PM