How to identify application generating Named Props RRS feed

• Question

• I have a mailbox on exchange 2007 server with over 11k records in Named Props table. Using MFCMAPI to retrieve the values. Is there a way to determine what application is adding specific values to the table?

Over 6k of the records in the table have a specific prefix (BBQ) in the values of Named Prop Name column.

• Edited by net_tech Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:28 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:21 PM

Answers

• No, they won't. Nor will they get dropped when you move the mailbox.

The only exception is that the properties in the source database (Exchange 2003/2007) that were in messages no longer present in the mailbox being moved won't be added to the destination mailbox database (or mailbox, if it's on 2010) when you move the mailbox.

IOW, if the properties exist in the messages being moved then they'll be added to either the destination database (2003/2007) or mailbox (2010).

Note that moving the mailbox/messages does not remove the properties from the source. If you had 8192 MAPI properties in the source you'll still have 8192 properties in the source when the move is finished (but if the source was 2010, who cares, the mailbox is the source and it's no longer active in that database!).

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

• Proposed as answer by Belinda Ma Monday, November 4, 2013 1:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by net_tech Monday, November 4, 2013 1:30 AM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:16 PM

All replies

• If the messages are sent using SMTP then the message headers should contain the IP address(es) sending those message (they'd be in the "Received:" headers.

As an alternative, you could modify the HeaderFilterAgent to record the information about the source address (or the "from" address) when messages arrive with X-Headers (or any other headers) at your HTR servers.

http://headerfilteragent.codeplex.com/

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:38 PM
  • no, they were sent via mapi by a custom app that was adding custom header for each email sent . I identified the app and shut it down until developer can come up with an alternative method. Now I have a user with 6k values in the Named Prop table who brings the records along if I move her in to another mailbox database.

Aside from dropping users mailbox in to a PST file and starting her with a new mailbox in new storage group, can anything else be done?

What would happen to the values in Named Prop table if I move user's mailbox to Exch2010 or 2013 ?

Thanks

• Edited by net_tech Friday, November 1, 2013 11:36 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Deleting the messages (or maybe just a couple thousand old messages) from his mailbox should cause those properties to be dropped when you move the mailbox to a different database. That won't help the source database unless you move every mailbox to a different database (and only of the named props no longer exist on messages being moved!) and then nuke the source mailbox database.

2010 and 2013 organize the database (schema) very differently. The limits for named props are "per mailbox" rather than "per database". They'd still move, but they'd only affect individual users.

Friday, November 1, 2013 9:39 PM
  • 2010 and 2013 organize the database (schema) very differently. The limits for named props are "per mailbox" rather than "per database".

Do you know what the new limits are?
    Friday, November 1, 2013 11:39 PM
  • What if I export the user's mailbox in to a PST file and then import back in to exchange?

Would named properties get dropped during export?

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/666

Friday, November 1, 2013 11:50 PM
  • The limits are the same, but they apply to individual mailboxes not the entire database.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:03 PM
  • No, they won't. Nor will they get dropped when you move the mailbox.

The only exception is that the properties in the source database (Exchange 2003/2007) that were in messages no longer present in the mailbox being moved won't be added to the destination mailbox database (or mailbox, if it's on 2010) when you move the mailbox.

IOW, if the properties exist in the messages being moved then they'll be added to either the destination database (2003/2007) or mailbox (2010).

Note that moving the mailbox/messages does not remove the properties from the source. If you had 8192 MAPI properties in the source you'll still have 8192 properties in the source when the move is finished (but if the source was 2010, who cares, the mailbox is the source and it's no longer active in that database!).

• Proposed as answer by Belinda Ma Monday, November 4, 2013 1:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by net_tech Monday, November 4, 2013 1:30 AM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:16 PM