After upgrade to IE10, we are having to perform a 'reset' or IE won't open any files from the browser. RRS feed

• Question

• ISSUE: users upgrade to IE10 and then can not access any files from the browser. IF they try to download a file, they get an open prompt. They click open and nothing happens. They can't access pdf files. They can't run active x. No errors it just will not open anything

SOLUTION: We have to reset the browser and then restart the computer.

QUESTIONS:

1. Why does Internet explorer 10 require a restart of the computer now when you do a 'reset'? IE9 never has required this. What exactly is it doing that requires this?

2. Why are we seeing so many upgrades from ie9 to ie10 that require us to reset the browser before anything will work correctly? I have at least 500 incidents of this recorded already.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:27 PM

Answers

• What I would suggest testing after running the reset process,

Delete browser history Settings button,

Caches and databases section and Uncheck the box to allow caches and databases.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 11:30 PM

All replies

• If your constantly having to reset ie then there are two possibilities I can think of,

1-A popular app is conflicting with default settings,

2-A security suite is not ready for ie10

There is no shame in Uninstalling the ie10 windows update,

If you had no issues using ie9 stick with it.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 10:20 PM
  • I wish it were that simple and I appreciate your input, Sir.

The dynamic that we deal with is thousands of users running their own personal pcs. We do not control anything they put on them. To have them remove IE10 causes even more issues due to even more bugs we encounter with that. Overall it ends up with more time spent and more frustration than just fixing it in ie10. We also have no way of pushing out anything to their pcs like an ie10 blocker.

IE10 works fine it's just we have to go through a time consuming process to get it to work correctly. It seems like there are bugs with the upgrade. I'm trying to figure out a way to reduce the time spent on this as it is causing a lot of workload for us right now.

If we could get answers to the 2 questions above it would be very helpful.

And we are not having to "constantly" reset IE. After windows updates upgrades them to IE10 and reboots in windows 7, we have to reset the browser to get it to start accessing any files on their hard drive. It is true this does not happen every single time but we have a very large amount of people reporting this issue. If it is a popular app, we have not been able to isolate it. However, you can recreate this on ANY windows 7/ie10 pc simply by resetting the browser and then NOT rebooting the computer.

• Edited by jheuring Wednesday, May 1, 2013 11:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 10:54 PM
  • What I would suggest testing after running the reset process,

Delete browser history Settings button,

Caches and databases section and Uncheck the box to allow caches and databases.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 11:30 PM