Windows 7 X64 & using acctinfo.dll with Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to use Windows 7 X64 & use acctinfo.dll with Active Directory? I am unable to register the dll. I really use that tab a lot in AD Users & Computers & need to get it back asap. 
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hello networkgirl,

I downloaded on my Windows 7 system(32 bit)
    It is showing the message that the dll is registered successfully.

Try it out with 32 bit..

Good Luck
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hello Networkgirl,

Thanks for the post.

As per my understanding, 

This forum is for Windows 7 Application Compatibility and Certification. However, I hope you are aware that the Account Lockout tools applies to Windows Server family; and also hope you have downloaded the tool from Microsoft download center.

The AcctInfo.dll tool is included in the ALTools.exe package that is available at "Account Lockout and Management Tools" on the Microsoft Web site.

You can also refer to a MSDN article on the Tool, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738772(WS.10).aspx.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Jobin

• Proposed as answer by Jobin Joshua Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:59 PM
  • I have downloaded the toool, but when I try to register the dll. I get an error that says "The module "acctinfo.dll" may not compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hello networkgirl,

I downloaded on my Windows 7 system(32 bit)
    It is showing the message that the dll is registered successfully.

Try it out with 32 bit..

Good Luck
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Did you verify that the tab exist in AD Users and Computers after registering the DLL?  I was able to successfully register the DLL but I still see no additional account info tab on user accounts.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:33 PM
  • This is an old post but un answered so You need to open the camand prompt w/run as administrator then register the dll

wich only works in the 32 bit mmc so start the mmc with the -32 switch.

mmc -32 then add the AD users and computers snapin then you should see the additiona account info tab

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Whenever I put the /32 after the target of the msc of ad users & computer I get a runtime error. I can only run ad user & computers in 64bit.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Try to open a blank mmc not the users msc
    open a command window

then

mmc -32

then add the users and computers snap in.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:44 PM
  • I did open a blank mmc by following your instrustions. I added the users and computers snap in. Then I get this error: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. When I click OK, I get this error: MMC cannot initialize the snap-in.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Do you get any errors registering the DLL? Did you verify it ?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:31 PM
  • There were no errors in registering the DLL. I can't even get the MMC to run.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Where you able to open an MMC before this. Verify that the MMC app is in your path. Its default location is
    C:\Windows\System32\mmc.exe

and that the account your using has permission to execute.

Friday, March 12, 2010 5:51 PM
  • The MMC will load, I just get the error:  MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. When I click OK, MMC quits running
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Try to open the mmc from a adminstrative cmd prompt in stead of the run line. You may also try to disable UAC first.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I have UAC disabled. I used administrative cmd prompt and got the same error.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:53 PM
  • You don't really need the acctinfo.dll file to be registered.  Turn on "Advanced Features" in the Active Directory Users and Computers console and then open up the user object.  You should see an "Attribute Editor" tab.  There you have all information + lots more that you are looking for.

And I am saying this assuming you have downloaded and installed the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en

amd64fre_GRMRSATX_MSU.msu is the file you need.  The other file will give you an error even though it's labeled as x86

• Proposed as answer by KHabershon Friday, March 26, 2010 4:51 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:50 PM
  • I have downloaded and installed RSAT for Windows 7. I turned on Advanced Features and do not see an Attribute Editor tab.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Try this... 

Move your DLLs to Windows>SystemWow64 directory and try to register these one by one. 

Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:04 AM
  • One thing to make sure of is, to actually navigate to the OU where the user object is, selcet it, right click, choose properties, then you will see the Attribute Editor Tab. Note that you will not see this tab within the account properties TABS after locating the user account via a FIND. It's similar to having your own little ADSIEDIT within A.D.U.C.

I never could get the acctinfo.dll portion to work and experienced the same errors as JEANNEMAC.

Friday, July 2, 2010 6:26 PM
  • After a year of looking I finally found a refrence on another forum to acctinfo2.dll 

You can find it here:  www.ActiveDir.org/ACCTINFO2_64BIT.zip

I tested it on both my Win7 Enterprise x64 systems and it worked fine.  Nice thing is it now works in searches as well as manually browsing to a user object!

As they noted on the other site as well, this is not supported by MS so use at your own risk.

GL all!

-=Will=-

• Proposed as answer by Richspinks Friday, July 23, 2010 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I registered ACCTINFO2.DLL found inside ACCTINFO2_64BIT.ZIP by copying it to Windows\System32 and registering it successfully from that location but I still don't see the Additional Properties tab in ADUC. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Is there another place to register this DLL or what am I doing wrong?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:21 PM
  • I too, d/l'ed the recommended package for acctinfo2.dll and successfully registered it however; like Jarens, I do NOT see any additional tabs regardless of whether I "find" or "navigate" to the user account.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Hopefully you have the advanced options on.  This was required on older versions.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Thanks. This worked for me on a 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2...
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:01 PM
  • I found that the ACCTINFO2.dll has to be in the c:\windows\system32 folder. Placing it in the SysWoW64 folder did not work. Remember to reregister the dll after you move it. After moving it to the system32 folder and reregistering the dll it worked.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Additional steps I had to take were to make two seperate .reg files comprised only of the entries below and run them one after the other:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{5969F63F-CACF-40BF-8891-CA580EB589E9}\InProcServer32]
    @="acctinfo2.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

and then

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B52C1E50-1DD2-11D1-BC43-00C04FC31FD3}\InprocServer32]
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
    @="c:\\windows\\system32\\acctinfo2.dll"

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:25 PM
  • You need to open the camand prompt w/run as administrator then register the dll

It is quite important comment. thanks
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:11 PM
  • This is the process I had to go through in order to get the thing working:

1.  Copy acctinfo.dll to the \Windows\syswow64

2.  Run the command prompt in Administrator mode

3.  While in your command prompt @ the \Windows\syswow64 directory, run regsvr32 acctinfo.dll

4.  Right click your shortcut to ADUC and add "-32" to the end of it.
        (eg. %SystemRoot%\system32\dsa.msc -32)

5.  Run ADUC till your heart is content!

• Proposed as answer by Andrey Solis Friday, August 26, 2011 6:06 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Thank you for this information General. It works with me.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:06 AM
  • This is an old post but un answered so You need to open the camand prompt w/run as administrator then register the dll

mmc -32 then add the AD users and computers snapin then you should see the additiona account info tab

This worked for me, thanks for posting!
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:14 PM

This worked for me, thanks for posting!

There is a 64bit version that does not have the bugs in the version on www.ActiveDir.org/ACCTINFO2_64BIT.zip  you need a copy dated on or after 8/30/2010.  For example the last logon, last logoff and sidhistory tab may not function properly.  I don’t know where you find a good copy on the internet, I got it from the developer at Microsoft that created it.  just something to keep in mind if you use either the 32bit version or the 64bit version the data is not alway correct unless you have the latest version.  if your just looking at password last set and expire date, you should be fine

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:19 PM

1. Copy acctinfo.dll to the \Windows\syswow64

2. Run the command prompt in Administrator mode

3. While in your command prompt @ the \Windows\syswow64 directory, runregsvr32 acctinfo.dll

4. Right click your shortcut to ADUC and add "-32" to the end of it.

5. Run ADUC till your heart is content!

This answer worked for me!!

Tested in: Windows 7 x64 Bits.

Also i can add a hint, the LockoutStatus.exe form the ALTools pack, also need to be placed in the  \Windows\syswow64 (if you follow the BoostLee answer)

Thanks BoostLee

Friday, August 26, 2011 6:12 PM

3. While in your command prompt @ the \Windows\syswow64 directory, runregsvr32 acctinfo.dll

Also i can add a hint, the LockoutStatus.exe form the ALTools pack, also need to be placed in the  \Windows\syswow64 (if you follow the BoostLee answer)

Thanks BoostLee

This worked for me as well. I've been trying to get this fixed for awhile. Now if only I can get the tab to show without having to drill down into the OU for the tab to show up...
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:50 PM
  •  

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit and this was the solution.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Thank you BoostLee, I really needed to see when users' passwords expire and your solution was the only one that worked for me! :)
    • Proposed as answer by LadyDenali Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LadyDenali Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:21 PM

1.  Copy acctinfo.dll to the \Windows\syswow64

2.  Run the command prompt in Administrator mode

3.  While in your command prompt @ the \Windows\syswow64 directory, run regsvr32 acctinfo.dll

4.  Right click your shortcut to ADUC and add "-32" to the end of it.

5.  Run ADUC till your heart is content!

This worked for me!

Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Quest's free Active Directory Management Tools are great for this.

get-qaduser -id "samaccountname"|fl *pass*

returns info similar to the following:

PasswordLastSet        : 1/11/2012 10:39:22 AM
    PasswordAge            : 126.02:50:35.5594352
    PasswordExpires        : 7/9/2012 11:39:22 AM
    PasswordNeverExpires   : False
    UserMustChangePassword : False
    PasswordIsExpired      : False
    PasswordStatus         : Expires at: Monday, July 09, 2012

I can also highly recommend JiJi Software's Password Expiration Notification.Their Self-Service Password Reset looks pretty good, too, though I have used The Dot Net Factory's AD Self Service Suite.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:33 PM
  • BoostLee's solution was simple and perfect for my Win 7 64bit ultimate. Thanks to all and OP too.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 7:57 PM
  • As this is the second time this was posted I feel I need to reply to it. Your solution is to have the user buy another $200 software to fix the problem? She needs this to work on x64.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:26 PM

Thanks BoostLee

I keep getting a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error stating "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact...." when I try and run ADUC using the shortcut with the -32 swicth.
    Friday, December 7, 2012 8:36 PM
  • can anybody show a screenshot of the new tab settings that this acctinfo.dll adds to ADUC?
    Friday, March 1, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Hi BoostLee, 

am getting this below error :

srini

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:28 AM
  • did you find the solution? i have a same screen at windows 7 ent 64bit
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Use this site to download the file:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5027.using-acctinfo-dll-on-a-64-bit-platform.aspx

You may have already done sone..

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:13 PM
  • SPOT ON! Just rebuilt and forgot the process. Kudos!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:20 PM
  • I know this doesn't actually help to resolve this issue but wanted to throw it out there. I like to run a simple batch file on my desktop with the script below to get this information. I edit the script by entering the users account name save close and double click the batch file. Gets me all the info you could ever want on the users account such as password expiration and soo much more.  Any way copy the text below into notepad and save it as a users.bat file. right click on the users.bat file select edit and put your users name where john.doe is and save and close. double click the users.bat file and enjoy, super easy and works flawlessly. 

net user john.doe /domain

Pause

Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:37 PM
  • I have downloaded and installed RSAT for Windows 7. I turned on Advanced Features and do not see an Attribute Editor tab.
    The Attributes tab will not show when performing FIND... and opening an object, you must direct browse to the object, open it from there.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 5:24 PM