MOSS 2007 Services Not Starting After Adding 2008 R2 WFE to 2003 R2 Farm RRS feed

• Question

• In preperation for our 2010 upgrade we have been migrating our 2003 R2 infrastructure to 2008 R2. Our prior environment was server 2003 R2 DB server running SQL 2005 and one 2003 R2 WFE. We migrated the DB server to 2008 R2 and SQL 2008. The next step was to add a 2008 R2 WFE and then decommision the 2003 R2 WFE.

Setup was successful on the 2008 R2 box. However, in CA the services on the 2008 R2 WFE show "Starting". The CA service is the only service that shows "Started" on the 2008 R2 box. The Document Conversions Launcher Service, Document Conversions Load Balancer Service, Windows SharePoint Services Search and Windows SharePoint Services Web Application show "Starting". The Windows SharePoint Services Administration does not display a status.

What step am I missing to get all of the services running on the new 2008 R2 WFE so I can turn off the 2003 R2 WFE? I don't see anything in the error logs.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Or Cingilli,

What bit is your Windows server 2003 R2 WFE? 32 or 64 bit?

As far as I know, server farms can run mixed 32-bit and 64-bit server platforms, but each server type must be run on the same platform. You cannot mix 32-bit and 64-bit architectures within server type roles. For instance, all servers running the  Query server role type must be using either a 32-bit or 64-bit architecture.

Did you install SharePoint server 2007 with SP2 on Windows server 2008 R2? If not, please refer to the following blog to reinstall it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2009/10/02/install-sharepoint-server-2007-on-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Did you select install Central Administration when you run the SharePoint configuration wizard? If not, please select it and re-run it, then check the effect.

I am not sure how did you migrate DB server to 2008 R2 and SQL 2008. But we suggest that you refer to the following article to migrate your existing server farm to a 64-bit farm.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd622865(office.12).aspx

Hope this helps.

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, November 26, 2010 5:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:56 AM

All replies

• Have you verified all permissions are the same on the new server... IE Local Admin's, are there any group policies that might be blocking services  from starting?   Also are there are usable errors in the Windows Event Log on those services starting?
    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:43 PM
  • The actual services on the server are all started. This issue lies within CA (Central Administration > Operations > Services on Server). The services on this screen show that they are "starting" and have displayed that for about two weeks. The farm seems to be functioning fine, but I need to get everything working on the 2008 R2 server so I can get rid of the 2003 R2 server and proceed with the 2010 upgrade.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Hi Or Cingilli,

What bit is your Windows server 2003 R2 WFE? 32 or 64 bit?

As far as I know, server farms can run mixed 32-bit and 64-bit server platforms, but each server type must be run on the same platform. You cannot mix 32-bit and 64-bit architectures within server type roles. For instance, all servers running the  Query server role type must be using either a 32-bit or 64-bit architecture.

Did you install SharePoint server 2007 with SP2 on Windows server 2008 R2? If not, please refer to the following blog to reinstall it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2009/10/02/install-sharepoint-server-2007-on-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Did you select install Central Administration when you run the SharePoint configuration wizard? If not, please select it and re-run it, then check the effect.

I am not sure how did you migrate DB server to 2008 R2 and SQL 2008. But we suggest that you refer to the following article to migrate your existing server farm to a 64-bit farm.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd622865(office.12).aspx

Hope this helps.

Rock Wang

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, November 26, 2010 5:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hi Or Cingilli,

I am wonder if you have any questions? If anything is unclear, please feel free to ask me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Rock Wang

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Can you just try to restart the services using powershell. I mean stop the services and then start the services using powershell snap-in.

let me know how it goes.

Aniket
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:08 AM