Problem connecting to SQL Server from Access under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client running my Carer Software which has an Access 2007 front-end connected via DSN-less ODBC to SQL Server 2005 Express using SQL Server authentication.

This works fine on all their XP machines but they are having connection issues with the Windows 7 machines.  After the Server has been rebooted they can usually connect and stay connected for a few hours but then get the following error:

---------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server Login
    ---------------------------
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '01000'
    SQL Server Error: 67
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 17
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

They then need to get everyone out of the system and reboot the server again.  Restarting SQL Server doesn't fix the problem.

On the Server we are using the default dynamic port allocation, with TCPIP as the protocol.  We have also tried turning off the firewall on the Windows 7 machines. The same errors occured when we used Windows Authentication instead of SQL Server Authentication.

Please help - we are running out of ideas.

Regards Kevin Seerup
    GoalMaker Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.goalmaker.com.au
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Since it seems to be more related to Microsoft SQL Server connection issue, I kindly recommend you to post your question in SQL forums so as to get a better assistance.

BTW, you can also search in Events and Errors Message Center for error events.

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:23 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:42 AM

All replies

• SQL Server 2005 Express is installed on the Server on a SBS 2003 network.  All the PC's are logged onto the domain, and the DSN-less ODBC connection is set up using the following:

"Driver={SQL Server};Server=ssss;Database=CarerData;UID=uuuu;PWD=pppp"

where ssss=Server\Instance; uuuu=User ID; pppp=Password.

Regards Kevin Seerup
    GoalMaker Business Systems Pty Ltd
    www.goalmaker.com.au
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Since it seems to be more related to Microsoft SQL Server connection issue, I kindly recommend you to post your question in SQL forums so as to get a better assistance.

BTW, you can also search in Events and Errors Message Center for error events.

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:23 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:42 AM