none
DPM 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2007

I received the error message that i need to increase the disk size for Recovery point volume

Data Source                   Data Size    Storage type      Replica Volume     Recovery Point Volume

Computer\SystemState   10.00 GB     Storage Pool      30.00 GB               36.02 GB - 

I dont know whats the amount of size i need to increase i use the calculator method (For Windows Server 2008 system state:(Data source size x retention range in days x .7) + 1600 MB) , but still i am not sure how much the value i need to key in.

my DPM retention range is 3 days

Monday, June 20, 2011 1:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

@ Shane  - Autogrow function is avaiable only for DPM 2010, not DPM 2007.

Lets take a look on the numbers you provided. data source size - 10 GB , Replica volume 30 GB and recovery point volume 36.02 GB. if I will count it with the formula stated on tehcnet article I'll got completelly different numbers.

formula For Replica volume of Windows Server 2008 system state :

• (Data source size x 1.5)

formula For recovery point volume  of Windows Server 2008 system state :

• (Data source size x retention range in days x .7) + 1600 MB

Would your system state really grow 3 times? Or how did you calculate it?

My proposal, go and check protection tab -> protection group -> protection server -> data source. In details pane you should find all information you need about disk allocation (size of the volumes and their usage).

These type of error get triggered in case DPM would fill out RV or RPV more than 90%.

Martin

Martin
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hello,

What is the data source size?
    What is the retention range you wish to have?

Thanks

Shane

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi Shane

Thank you for y our reply

data source size : 10.00GB
    retention range : 3 Days

Kirupananthan
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Hello,

The default calculation created by the "Create protection group" wizard is a pretty good initial calculation. Giving an exact size needed is difficult as each system state will vary depending on registry bloat and other variables.  I'd suggest to accept to the "create protection group" wizard default settings and select to enable "autogrow".  From this point should you reach the space threshold, DPM will grow 25% or 10 gigs, whichever is greater if using DPM 2010.  If using DPM 2007 this would not be an option.

Thanks

Shane

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:10 PM
    • Edited by ShaneB. _ Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:51 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

@ Shane  - Autogrow function is avaiable only for DPM 2010, not DPM 2007.

Lets take a look on the numbers you provided. data source size - 10 GB , Replica volume 30 GB and recovery point volume 36.02 GB. if I will count it with the formula stated on tehcnet article I'll got completelly different numbers.

formula For Replica volume of Windows Server 2008 system state :

• (Data source size x 1.5)

formula For recovery point volume  of Windows Server 2008 system state :

• (Data source size x retention range in days x .7) + 1600 MB

Would your system state really grow 3 times? Or how did you calculate it?

My proposal, go and check protection tab -> protection group -> protection server -> data source. In details pane you should find all information you need about disk allocation (size of the volumes and their usage).

These type of error get triggered in case DPM would fill out RV or RPV more than 90%.

Martin

Martin
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Hello,

@Martin, yes good call.  I'm so used to responding to 2010 questions that I overlooked that. 
    I appended to my last statement. 

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:52 PM