Cannot sign in to office 365 from a non domain joined PC RRS feed

• Question

• My environment:
    1 Domain controller
    1 ADFS server
    1 Dir Sync server

This is an virtual environment in our testlab.

Domain-joined computer on premis(internally) can sign in with SSO. This is working perfect.

When I try to connect to office 365 (portal.microsoftonline.com) off premise(externally) with a non domain-joined computer I am redirected to my adfs server. (adfs.mydomain.com)

When I logg on I am using the account : account@mydomain.com

When i try to log on externally I thought I would be prompted for username and password. But i can't log in at all.

Feel free to try and see that happends, portal.microsoftonline.com, try to login with test@artbachelor.com and see what happends.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I notice you don't have an ADFS proxy server setup. Normally you would have an ADFS proxy configured for external access. The proxy is accessible from outside your network (subject to correct firewall settings). This then talks back to the internal ADFS server.

When I test with the options you gave, it trows up a few errors.

The first being about the certificate - you should be using a trusted cert on the ADFS server.

The next is that it appears your firewall is throwing the error rather than ADFS - im guessing this is due to the way the configuration has been done and the relevant ports are not open for ADFS to operate correctly without proxy.

I think your next step would be to setup an adfs proxy. There is plenty of info online on how to do this, but if you get stuck give me a shout.

thanks

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:49 PM