USB ports have all worked perfectly for years but suddenly... RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly only HID devices are added to the system.  Powered and non-powered USB storage media are correctly identified in the "Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers" panel as compatible USB Mass Storage Devices, but they are "unavailable"  and cannot start due to a Code 10 problem.

I am sure that the hardware is still o.k. because I can boot into an alternative Windows environment from a CD (Active@Disk software) and my USB drives start up as per normal.  Returning to Windows 7, the troubleshooter tells me there is a driver problem.  Removing and reinstalling the driver makes no difference.  And if I ask Windows to look for an updated driver it tells me that I already have the best driver.  When I run a scan on the system files (sfc.exe) no errors are reported.  I have also run a virus scan and there was no virus to be found. 

Could the problem be an unintended consequence of a recent Windows Update? There have been quite a few updates released in the last few weeks.  I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me, as I have a rapidly mounting collection of data files waiting to be transferred to external storage.                  

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:27 PM

Answers

• Can you remove the fltsrv "UpperFilters" entries here (leave the hotcore3) : 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] \SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] \SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

There seems to be a lot of Acronis left behind so you may want to consider running a cleanup utility from the following link, it is suggested to run the Microsoft Fixit Tool first:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/40366

If you still get a "signature collision" with the older drive post back as that could be a different issue.

• Marked as answer by Brszlngy Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Brszlngy,

I would like to verify did you load the latest USB devices driver? Have you tired the different USB ports? Did you use any USB hub? If so, bypass it and perform the clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Your computer is compatible with Windows 7, I suggest you update the BIOS and then reinstall the USB controllers to check the result. We could download them from the manufacturer’s official website.

If the error is recently happened and you have a system restore point, I suggest that we could try system restore.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Also, in the Device Manager can you right-click a device giving the Code 10 error > Properties > Details, then choose "Class Guid" from the drop-down menu under "Property".

What is listed under "Value"?
    • Edited by auggyMVP Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Thanks Auggy,

Device is a Cruzer Switch thumbdrive

Device class guid is: 

{4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Can you check the following registry key?:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

At that registry key, in the right window, is there a "Name" UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters?

If so, what is "Data" for those Names?

There should be an UpperFilters value PartMgr which is required and the default.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:42 PM
  • The system drivers are responsible for the USB 2.0 ports and you will have additional drivers for USB 3.0 ports.  Try downloading the system drivers and any USB 3.0 drivers and re-installing them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Thanks Carl Fan,

I am not using a USB hub at the moment, although I have used a USB3 hub in the past.  I have two USB3 ports and four USB2 ports on the back panel, plus 6 ports connected to USB2 headers on the board.

I am trying a clean boot at the moment.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest offered by the manufacturer.  I had been putting this off as it required dropping back to a DOS boot and a FAT drive.  Along the way I removed the USB controllers, and Windows reinstalled them from the updated BIOS. 

The USB ports are still not working but there have been some minor charges  in the way storage devices are being reported by the system.  Storage devices are described as compatible and working properly, even though they can not connect.  The class guid of a USB2 Cruzer thumbdrive is  {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}, while that of a HP USB3 Desktop is {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.  Both devices are described needing their correct drivers, but Windows cannot find better drivers.

If I click on view hidden devices in the Computer management /- Device Manager panel both devices immediately appear and can be uninstalled.                                                                                                                                              

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Auggy,

The LowerFilters value is SamsungRapidDiskFltr

The UpperFilters has several Value data: PartMgr  fltsrv  pgpwded   (each on a separate line)

Should I delete the two non-default values?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Before removing any values can you also check the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

At that registry key, in the right window, is there a "Name" UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters?

Also, are the following programs presently installed or have any been uninstalled?:

Samsung Disk Magician  (SamsungRapidDiskFltr)

Acronis True Image (fltsrv)

Symantec PGP Whole Disk Encryption (pgpwded)

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Hi Auggy,

Registry keyHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}    does not have either name "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters"

Samsung Disk Magician is installed.

Acronis True Image and the Acronis align tool were installed around 2012 but they were only there for a short period of time.  However, I have found two remnant directories named "Acronis".  One is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files and the other is in C:\ProgramData.  There is no "fltsrv" in either of these directories. I tried to delete them both as unnecessary leftovers, however I found that a file named "snapapi.dll" could not be deleted because it was open in "Intel Data Migration Software Monitor".  I will get around to deleting it, and the containing folder, as soon as I work out how to do it.  

BUT there is a file named "fltsrv.sys" present in C:\Windows\System32\drivers and it is signed by Acronis Inc.  I am guessing that I should remove this leftover as well?

There is a file "PGPwded" in C:\Windows\System32\drivers.  I don't have "Symantec PGP Whole Disk Encryption" as a separate program but I do have "PGP Desktop".  It is not enabled and don't remember if it includes whole disk encryption, but I think it might.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:13 PM
  • As Acronis is no longer installed try removing the fltsrv registry entry.

First, create a System Restore Point.

Then, double-click UpperFilters and remove fltsrv   > OK

Leave PartMgr and pgpwded as is.

Restart the computer.

If you have an issue try uninstalling and reinstalling Disk Magician.

If still an issue try disabling Rapid Mode using the Disk Magician utility as that worked in the following link:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-win7-pc-usb-storage-device-driver-code-10.206770/

• Edited by auggyMVP Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:28 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi Auggy,

I removed fltsrv but that did not help.  I then removed Disk Magician and tried inserting a thumbdrive. 

The usual message popped up saying that a driver was being loaded, followed by a message that the drive was ready to use, But no drive letter was allocated, and the drive was only visible in the "Devices and printers" panel.  (Same outcome as before.)  So I reinstalled Disk Magician, but after that any/every USB storage device failed to be picked up at all: no search for a driver, no allocation of a drive letter. 

I should note that it was the most recent version of Magician and I was not running it in rapid mode. If you think it might be helpful I could delete Magician once more and look further to see what effects that might have.

Friday, July 1, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Yes, try uninstalling Disk Magician again and restart the computer.

If no drive letter is assigned check if the drive shows up in Disk Management and that you can assign a drive letter.

Friday, July 1, 2016 4:12 PM
  • I forgot to mention that the latest Samsung Magician did not install a filter in the registry USB keys.

I have uninstalled Magician.  USB3 and USB2 devices still show up in Devices and Printers but also now in the "Safely remove..." and in the Device Manager as "Generic Volume".  When I look at the Properties of the Generic Volume I see "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware . The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)."  If I try to update the driver (Version 6.1.7601.17514) I get the message that Windows has determined this is the best driver for the device.

The USB drives also show up in Computer management - Storage - Disk Management with their correct storage capacities but I still can not assign a (Change..)...Drive letter and Path.

Monday, July 4, 2016 6:17 AM
  • What happens when you try to assign a driver letter? Do you get an error?

Also, does the same issue exist if you restart the computer in Safe Mode?

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Hi Auggy,

In Disk Management, when I try to assign a drive letter I get this message:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart the Disk Manager or restart the computer."

The same message appeared after a refresh, and both types of restart, and the issue was the same in safe mode.

I got the above result using a fairly new USB3 drive in a USB2 port, after receiving the message on initiation that the drive would run faster in a USB3 port, however the same drive was not picked up in a USB3 port, presumably due to the Renesas USB3 drivers.  

I tried a much older USB2 case as well.  It was picked up immediately with an installed successfully message, but there was still an issue with being unable to assign a drive letter in Disk Management as it was: "Offline, (The disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk that is online)".       

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:11 AM
  •   

I tried a much older USB2 case as well.  It was picked up immediately with an installed successfully message, but there was still an issue with being unable to assign a drive letter in Disk Management as it was: "Offline, (The disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk that is online)".       

In Disk Management can you right-click the older drive and select "Online"?

Also, with a problematic newer drive plugged in can you provide the following information which may help determine any issue(s):

Windows Key + R > type msinfo32 in the "Open" box  > OK > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file

Then make the resulting .nfo file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Also, can you do the following:

Windows Key + R > type eventvwr in the "Open" box > OK > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file

Then make the resulting .evtx file available via via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Here's a couple of links on using OneDrive (SkyDrive):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/skydrive/add-photos-files-faq

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/onedrive/share-file-folder

Friday, July 15, 2016 12:46 PM
  • Hi Auggy,

When I right click on the older disk in Disk Manager and select 'Online' the warning about the disk not being online immediately disappears, but when I try to assign a drive letter I receive the same message as before, saying, "Offline, (The disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk that is online)".

With the newer drive plugged in, I have saved both the msinfo32 and Administrative Events files as you requested, and you can access them using the following links: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtapacnlzdwhoey/Brszlngy.nfo?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/439bgx5z8hv8xz6/Brszlngy.evtx?dl=0

I seem to be getting along o.k. without Samsung's Disk Magician installed on my local disk.

Sunday, July 17, 2016 11:48 AM
  • Here's a recent recurring warning from the Event Logs :

The driver \Driver\fltsrv failed to load for the device STORAGE\Volume\..........

That appears to indicate there is a fltsrv registry entry trying to load the fltsrv.sys

Can you re-check the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

At that registry key, in the right window, is there a "Name" UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters?

Is there a fltsrv entry (it may have been re-created if you removed it) ?

Also, can you check if the following registry key exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fltsrv

Sunday, July 17, 2016 8:56 PM
  • Hi Auggy,

There is a "Name" UpperFilters at registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and it contains two "Data" : PartMgr and pgpwded

The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fltsrv does exist and I have exported a copy for you to examine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd57mfkji6yhbqn/Brszlngy_fltsrv.reg?dl=0

I have also run a registry search for fltsrv with the following resultshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/gvx8r16ev2t15kx/BrszlngyRegsrch.txt?dl=0 

Monday, July 18, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Can you remove the fltsrv "UpperFilters" entries here (leave the hotcore3) : 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] \SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] \SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

There seems to be a lot of Acronis left behind so you may want to consider running a cleanup utility from the following link, it is suggested to run the Microsoft Fixit Tool first:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/40366

If you still get a "signature collision" with the older drive post back as that could be a different issue.

• Marked as answer by Brszlngy Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Dear Auggy,

Thank you so much!  Your patience is greatly appreciated.  My USB ports are working as normal, including USB3, and the world seems like a safer place.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:40 PM
  • You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know the ports are working now.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:16 PM