none
Presentation Help RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyone out there that can get me in touch with a Steady State Guru?

Have tried to call Microsoft but to no avail. I have an Account manager but no one seems to have any

contact information to get a hold of him. (that's at Microsoft not within our Company)

I need to put a presentation together to the big wigs for North American deployment - to start.

Then there will need to be a presentation to the global heads.

Really I need answers to lots of question on overcoming some obstacles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi IMtheHORSE,

Please understand that this forum mainly focuses on the SteadyState issues. Thus, I can only answer the questions related to SteadyState:

Script the installation of SteadyState
    -------------------------------
    I am not clear what script manner is used to deploy programs.  You can treat SteadyState as a general EXE program. Please understand that Windows Disk Protection (WDP) feature cannot be turned on by script. We have to turn it on manually.

Another method is to deploy system which has SteadyState installed through Sysprep. You can refer to the following article:

How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Here is a related thread in this forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008716&SiteID=69

Actually, most of the SteadyState restrictions can be deployed through group policy or registry changes. You can refer to the following thread to configure the restrictions without installing SteadyState:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2013795&SiteID=69

Add another directory to make it do what it does with "My Documents"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    SteadyState cannot add such directories nor configure write/delete restrictions to the folder. You may need to configure the folder restrictions manually on  the client computer (if the directory locates on the client) or server (if the directory is on the server).

Presentation material
    -------------------
    Would you please let me know what presentation material is required? From SteadyState standpoint, most documents can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi IMtheHORSE,

You can post your questions in the forum if they are not related to your company’s private information. The questions and answer may benefit other customers. Otherwise, you can send email to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com, I will forward your email to related person.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Thanks Shawn,

I need to be able to script the install, is that possible? or another method to do mass installation and set user restrictions. We are in a mixed environment Novell/Linux/W2k3. Novell Edir is the primary Auth.

I also need to know if is is possible to add another directory to make it do what is does with "my documents".

where is will allow it to read and write but not delete.

We have about 50 notebooks that run a program that MUST use a specific directory structure.

Is there any presentation material available from Microsoft?

I have tried to contact our Account manager here in canada but no one has any contact information

for him - no phone - no email - no address. Very odd.

In October/November I will have to do a presentation for the "big wigs" for North America.

Thank you.

Friday, August 31, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Hi IMtheHORSE,

Please understand that this forum mainly focuses on the SteadyState issues. Thus, I can only answer the questions related to SteadyState:

Script the installation of SteadyState
    -------------------------------
    I am not clear what script manner is used to deploy programs.  You can treat SteadyState as a general EXE program. Please understand that Windows Disk Protection (WDP) feature cannot be turned on by script. We have to turn it on manually.

Another method is to deploy system which has SteadyState installed through Sysprep. You can refer to the following article:

How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Here is a related thread in this forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008716&SiteID=69

Actually, most of the SteadyState restrictions can be deployed through group policy or registry changes. You can refer to the following thread to configure the restrictions without installing SteadyState:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2013795&SiteID=69

Add another directory to make it do what it does with "My Documents"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    SteadyState cannot add such directories nor configure write/delete restrictions to the folder. You may need to configure the folder restrictions manually on  the client computer (if the directory locates on the client) or server (if the directory is on the server).

Presentation material
    -------------------
    Would you please let me know what presentation material is required? From SteadyState standpoint, most documents can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:28 AM
  • 2 - things

1. I just want to script the install and set the settings - for example launch the install and NOT have any user interaction.

Either with a txt file feeding the program information or a script file. Once the install is complete and sytem reboots then

users can be added to steady state and level of disk protection selected.

2. I need to restrict programs to run only from "Program Files" and "Windows" directories, users will not be allowed to install any software or change files other than what they add under the "My Documents" Directory.

Problem is there are a small group of users (500) that run a custom program which cannot have the directory moved.

This is why I need to know if a direcotry can be added to the list of where programs can run.

Sorry if it is taking awhile for me to respond - I have been travelling lately

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Hi IMtheHORSE,

1. I just want to script the install and set the settings - for example launch the install and NOT have any user interaction. Either with a txt file feeding the program information or a script file. Once the install is complete and system reboots then users can be added to steady state and level of disk protection selected.

============

Unfortunately, we cannot achieve this due to the following causes:

a. There is no txt or script file to feed the program information during the installation.

b. Although users can be added to SteadyState automatically, you have to configure restrictions manually.

c. There is no script to turn on WDP feature (our product team is still working on this). You have to turn on it manually. After that, we can change its mode with scripts.

2. I need to restrict programs to run only from "Program Files" and "Windows" directories, users will not be allowed to install any software or change files other than what they add under the "My Documents" Directory. Problem is there are a small group of users (500) that run a custom program which cannot have the directory moved. This is why I need to know if a directory can be added to the list of where programs can run.

============

Windows SteadyState cannot add a directory which contains the allowed programs.

For your reference, you can achieve this with Software Restriction Policy of Windows XP:

----------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in gpedit.msc and click OK.

3. Locate: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Software Restriction Policies\Security Levels

4. Double click Disallowed. Click “Set as default” and then click OK.

Note: This security level will prevent all software from running except the rules under “Additional Rules”

5. Locate: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Software Restriction Policies\Additional Rules

6. Right click the blank space and then choose “New Path Rule”.

7. Input the path where the software locates. Configure Security Level as Unrestricted and click OK.

Note: “New Path Rule” will allow all programs under the path you defined. If there is only one program. “New Hash Rule” is suggested.

For more information about Software Restriction Policy, please refer to the following website:

Software Restriction Policy for Windows XP Clients

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/secwinxp/xpsgch06.mspx

Regards,

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:43 AM
  •  

Shawn, I have installed SteadyState I have used the gpedit to add a path for the directory I needed.

Thanks very much for this information it helped alot.

I have been testing a default profile I want to create for ease of use I left the password blank.

Now I an getting "in order to inititialize this profile, the password for "username" must be provided."

And there is az box to enter the password.  It is blank so I hit enter and get a box with a red circle and a white X

with an OK button that says Element not found. Do not know if it matters but I can still export the user from steady state.

Looking forward to your response. 

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Hi IMtheHORSE,

The “Element not found” error can be caused by the user profile. Please refer to the following thread to create a new profile and check this issue again:

Element not found

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1897964&SiteID=69

If issue persists within the new user profile, you can also submit a new post in the forum. 

Regards,

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Now there is yet another glitch - I tried to search for it but did not see a thread.

I deleted the user and saved all important info.

When I recreated the user NONE of the restriction options are effective.

IE do not allow save to desktop – Option is checked but I can still save to desktop.

I can delete files under the windows directory too.

When I first installed steady state and set the restrictions all was fine.

I DO NOT turn on disk protection because I need users to change their passwords through the Novell Client. This was working fine what happened.

When I create a “brand new” with a different name...all is OK.

I deleted ALL user directories for the original profile and recreated the user.

Same thing any restrictions have no effect when the user logs in.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

As the current issue is different from the original one, I recommend submitting a new thread to continue. This will avoid confusion and anyone who encountered something similar may also provide some suggestions.

By the way, please clarify the following questions in the new thread:

1. What do you mean by “testing a default profile”? Do you mean editing the Default User profile using the method in SteadyState Handbook?

2. Have you configure any restriction from SteadyState after creating a new user profile?

If you would like to configure new user accounts to inherit restrictions from the Default User profile, the problem can be closely related to the Default User profile. You may create a new one with the steps in the Handbook.

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:59 AM