none
Windows 8.1 activation failed, despite tech support aid. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 8.1 is asking to be reactivated, when product key and or activate online is issued, error message appears telling me the code is not valid. tech support has helped out in many ways, but no ways have fixed the issue. many cmd commands have been attempted such as 

elevator cmd promp~ attempted and failed

rearm cmd prompt~ attempted and failed

among multiple others.

i bought windows 8.1 pre installed on my pc from best buy, never had problems until affter windows 10 free upgrade, which i did not participate in getting. afterwards, i have been constantly asked to activate my windows 8.1, but with no luck does it allow or accept my product key, despite it being a valid  volume key according to the microsoft support team. 

i have been a microsoft user for years now, i have invested and bought into many products. it is a shame that this is happening, but would be greatly appreciated if ANYONE can help me fix this problem before i am forced to change OS.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting us, and I am glad to help you on the activation issue. Before offering suggestions, I have a few concerns:

1.What kind of product key did you use? Since you mentioned you bought it pre installed, so did you use OEM key?

2.Since you haven't free upgrade to Windows 10, what did you change so that you have to reactive it?

3. Have you recently changed hardware like firmware? Any hardware you changed may lead to activation issue.

4.Did you know the OEM product key. As I know, the product key may always on the laptop sticker.

5.Try to use command to reinstall the product key.

slmgr /upk

slmgr /ipk <Product Key>

6.Try to activate it using telephone. reference 

7.I noticed that you have already contact Microsoft support team, can you please provide the procedures you have tried? How did you contact with them?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:13 AM
  • If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:48 AM