locked
Uninstall SP3 from recovery console?? RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Is there any way to uninstall sp3 from the recovery console if the computer won't boot after install??

     

    I know there was for sp2

    Sunday, March 2, 2008 2:45 AM

Answers

  •  

    Turns out there were no copies of the registry in the system volume information directory, proceeding with format and install.  My filesystem must have been FUBAR before the update.  Luckily this wasn't an important computer, and everything was backed up to a NAS device.  I'll be without my HTPC for a bit today, oh well.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

  • No promises but you could try KB307545. 

    It would be best if you have a slipstreamed SP3 disk on hand to use for this operation, also. 
    If you are unfamiliar with making one, check out unattended.msfn.org and nLite.  You should be able to whip one up within an hour easy.  By virtue that you are posting this I can only assume you have access to an alternate working PC.

    This may get you back into a working state, then you should be able to uninstall SP3 from safe mode.
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:50 AM
  •  sandmyth wrote:

     

    Is there any way to uninstall sp3 from the recovery console if the computer won't boot after install??

     

    I know there was for sp2

     

    Hi,

    We would like to investigate on the cause for the system not booting up in the first place.

    Can you please elaborate a bit?

    - Are you able to boot in safe mode?

    - At what stage does the boot process abort?

     

    BTW the mechanism available for SP2 would work for SP3 as well.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

    Monday, March 3, 2008 12:37 PM
  •  

    Well, the first issue i ran into was the license error 0x80004005

    At that point i went the recovery console and ran a chkdsk /r (hadn't run a chkdsk in a while)  At that point chkdsk reported it had found error and fixed them.  i then followed the instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914232

    After doing this windows would not boot referencing the hal.dll being missing or corrupt.  At this point i replaced the hal.dll file with a copy from my windows disk

    expand hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

    then i restarted the computer and got a windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: c:\windows\system32\config\system

     

    my next thing to do is boot to a Preboot enviroment and pull an old copy of the registry out of systemvolumeinformation and put it in place of the corrupt one in system32\config

     

    This was probably because of installing SP3 over a corrupt filesystem.

     

    I remember that with SP2 you could uninstall sp2 using c:\windows\$NTSPuninstall\spuninst\batch spuninst.txt  However i was unable to find the txt batch file to allow me to do this.

     

    Most likely my filesystem is messed up and i'll just have to format.  I've got tomorrow off, so i'll play with it then.

    Monday, March 3, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  sandmyth wrote:
    expand hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

     

    sandmyth,

     

    Your expand syntax is incorrect. It should be "expand hal.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll" without quotes, unless that is a typo written by you.

     

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Monday, March 3, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

    It's a typo. It originally wouldn't expand straight to c:\windows\system32\hal.dll kept giving an error, so i expanded it to the root of the drive, and copied it to c:\windows\system32\ and that worked fine.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  sandmyth wrote:
    It's a typo. It originally wouldn't expand straight to c:\windows\system32\hal.dll kept giving an error, so i expanded it to the root of the drive, and copied it to c:\windows\system32\ and that worked fine.

     

     sandmyth wrote:
    Most likely my filesystem is messed up and i'll just have to format.  I've got tomorrow off, so i'll play with it then.

     

    Alright then, and Good Luck to you! Create some clone/ghost images ready before playing with SP3.

     

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Monday, March 3, 2008 9:22 PM
  •  

    Turns out there were no copies of the registry in the system volume information directory, proceeding with format and install.  My filesystem must have been FUBAR before the update.  Luckily this wasn't an important computer, and everything was backed up to a NAS device.  I'll be without my HTPC for a bit today, oh well.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I did some digging, and found how to uninstall the sp3 from recovery console.

     

    Once your in recovery console type

     

    cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst

    batch spuninst.txt

    exit

     

    When the system reboots, you should be able to get in. then go to add/remove programs.

    Uninstall sp3 from there.

    It will finish the removal. reboot and your set.

     

    • Proposed as answer by wolf_song Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:40 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2008 3:23 AM
  •  

    Much thanks. My system had been in an endless cycle of rebooting (never making it past loading screen) since RC2 was installed. Hopefully this will not happen once it is pushed automatically.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 8:25 AM
  • .

    To remove SP3 from recovery console.

     

    Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:

    Press any key to boot from CD
    Note The computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that was included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer. You can also use a bootable floppy disk to start Windows XP. For more information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    305595 How to create a bootable floppy disk for an NTFS or FAT partition in Windows XP
    2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

    Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
    3. Select the correct Windows XP installation.

    Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
    4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

    Note You cannot continue if you do not have the administrator password.
    5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst , and then press ENTER.
    6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt , and then press ENTER.

    Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and the files that are being copied. This is typical behavior.
    7. After Windows XP SP3 is removed, type exit , and then press ENTER.
    8. Restart the computer in safe mode. To do this, press F8 when the computer restarts.

    Note After you restart the computer, the computer may stop responding, and you may see a black screen. The mouse will work. In this case, restart the computer again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you log on.
      When the computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Task Manager in the Windows Security screen.
    b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run).
    c. In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK.
    d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
    e. In the details pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    f.

    Restart the computer

     

    Regards,

    Naushad Unni

    • Proposed as answer by wolf_song Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:24 PM
  • thankyou Naushad Unni, you saved me 4 hours work + a re-install!

     

    Kind regards

    Z

     

    Friday, August 29, 2008 4:38 AM
  • YES!  Thanks to both CUDIXS and Naushad Unni ...
    I didn't run into any of the issues in the remainder of Naushad's post, but it was good information to have while I went through the uninstall.  Always amazing to be booting again.  My client thanks you profusely....

    Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:39 PM
  •  

    turns out my whole problem was a bad video card.  atleast some people got some good results from this thread.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:35 AM
  • Naushad Unni

     

     

    Thankyou so very much taking the time to type out a detailed fix for this issue you are the best. I fixed the reboot problem thanks to you.  Peace

     

    Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Dude, SP3 hosed your video card.  Happened to two of my computers before I got wise.  Have been able to almost recover one of them (an old Ti500), though still some artifacts, using latest nVidia driver (after SP3 uninstall).  The other (a 7950) - no luck yet - black screen.

    Anybody else discover a "bad" video card after SP3?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  

    My issue is at number 5... I type in the administrators password and it errors saying windows needs to be activated before you can continue. but it is a legitimate copy from my local computer store (PC World).

     

    I cannot get further than this point EVER... not even in safe mode.

     

    Is there any way around this?

     

    Thaanks everyone,

     

    Raees

     

     Naushad Unni wrote:

    .

    To remove SP3 from recovery console.

     

    Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:

    Press any key to boot from CD
    Note The computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that was included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer. You can also use a bootable floppy disk to start Windows XP. For more information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    305595 How to create a bootable floppy disk for an NTFS or FAT partition in Windows XP
    2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

    Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
    3. Select the correct Windows XP installation.

    Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
    4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

    Note You cannot continue if you do not have the administrator password.
    5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst , and then press ENTER.
    6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt , and then press ENTER.

    Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and the files that are being copied. This is typical behavior.
    7. After Windows XP SP3 is removed, type exit , and then press ENTER.
    8. Restart the computer in safe mode. To do this, press F8 when the computer restarts.

    Note After you restart the computer, the computer may stop responding, and you may see a black screen. The mouse will work. In this case, restart the computer again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you log on.
      When the computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Task Manager in the Windows Security screen.
    b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run).
    c. In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK.
    d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
    e. In the details pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    f.

    Restart the computer

     

    Regards,

    Naushad Unni

    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Naushad Unni 

     

    Your Post is one of the most thorough and clear Problem Solvers I've ever seen . . .

     

    Thank you !

     

    later . . .

    Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Naushad or anyone else here that can help me...

     

    I followed the instructions using recovery console to remove SP3.  However, my computer does not boot up after restarting in Safe Mode.  I just get a black screen, with no hard disk activity.  I've restarted my machine multiple times, and other options including last known configuration - ZERO hard disk activity.

     

    Any help please!  I need to access my files urgently.

     

    Moose

    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:46 PM
  • WHAT IF I DONT HAVE THE CD?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

     

    PLS HELP!!!

    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:37 PM
  • After step 7 I was able to boot in save mode, and access system restore. I simply restored to before sp3 was installed.
     By the way, thank you all for the massive help with this problem.
    • Edited by PaulB1967 Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:08 PM add thanks
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Thank you so much for your answer Naushad Unni, after scouring the internet all night long for a fix for this, this was the ONLY thing that worked for my computer. I had tried both microsoft and hp's suggestion about renaming or deleting intelpmm and it did not work at all. As soon as I uninstalled through recovery mode my computer booted to the desktop with no issue whatsoever. This is an extreme relief from not even being able to use safe mode. Thanks thanks thanks! :)
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:37 PM