none
Logins RRS feed

• Question

• We currently run CRM on premises which is importing data from a legacy Web Application.  Due to the nature of our business we are required to send out emails to each customer on a regular basis, however changes in our governing body have now requested that any reports are send to customers password protected. We are looking for information on SharePoint to see if it can be adapted for the following scenario;

1. users outside of the company can log into SharePoint and be restricted to a specific directory

2. can the 'contacts' information within CRM that contains their user names and passwords be used as the users login to SharePoint.

I am a complete novice to SharePoint, so apologise if these questions sound stupid. Ideally we would want to host ( on premises ) a SharePoint site that users can log into to download reports specific to them, and also upload data sensitive files. Is this something that SharePoint would be able to accomplish

Dont ask me .. i dont know

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:00 PM

All replies

• I did something very similar to this for a customer about 10 years ago.  Basically it involves setting up a SharePoint environment in a DMZ and using a custom Forms based Authentication provider that validates users/passwords against the CRM database using standard CRM webservices.

Once logged in you can control what sites/libraries the user has access to using regular SharePoint security.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going?

If you think the information provided by Paul is helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Best regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:49 AM