Outlook 365 hates strangers RRS feed

• Question

• My Outlook 365 (2016) refuses to send a message to any address not in my contacts list. If I use Outlook.com, the exact same message and address goes just fine. 365 also gives me lots of grief when I try to create new contacts.

I don't want to have to add every name to my contact list in order to send an email to someone I might never email again.

Jay Wells

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:39 AM

Answers

•  My internet security is Kaspersky, which I have been using for years so it is not the problem. My Rules will not open but I have never created any rules so there shouldn't be any. I do get an error message:

I also get two error messages every time Outlook starts but I doubt they have anything to do with the refusal to send. One says Outlook cannot open, the other says resources are critically low, but all I ever do to them is click OK and Outlook opens fine

You have a lot more issues then just not being able to send emails to recipients not in your contact list (something I can't replicate). Absolutely impossible to know what is impacting what and also, just because you've been using an addin for years (i.e. Kaspersky) doesn't mean a new update to an addin can't make things go haywire - although probably not the case in this scenario in terms of Kaspersky.

As for having any A/V addin in Outlook - totally pointless if you have an active up-to-date system level A/V running. In general, Outlook A/V addins tend to cause more problems then their worth.

Suggest the focus is getting Outlook to run normally without any error messages of any kind and the first action to take would be to run a full repair of your Office install and that assumes you don't have any misbehaving 3rd party addins. Would then ensure that you have the latest Office updates.

You might also want to provide info as to whether this is an Outlook install that went from a working to non-working scenario or something that is never worked at all 

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Jay,

Is there any errors or non-delivery report when you failed to send messages to any address not in my contacts list?

In Outlook 2016, please click File > Info > Manage Rules & Alerts, check if any Outlook Rules are created to block messages sending to users who are not in your Contact lists.

Also disable any anti-spam or anti-virus programs on your computer to have a try.

Waiting for your updates.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:16 AM
  • I tried to reply to this in an email a long while ago but apparently my reply did not make it. My internet security is Kaspersky, which I have been using for years so it is not the problem. My Rules will not open but I have never created any rules so there shouldn't be any. I do get an error message:

I also get two error messages every time Outlook starts but I doubt they have anything to do with the refusal to send. One says Outlook cannot open, the other says resources are critically low, but all I ever do to them is click OK and Outlook opens fine

Jay Wells

Friday, August 12, 2016 11:07 AM
  •  My internet security is Kaspersky, which I have been using for years so it is not the problem. My Rules will not open but I have never created any rules so there shouldn't be any. I do get an error message:

You have a lot more issues then just not being able to send emails to recipients not in your contact list (something I can't replicate). Absolutely impossible to know what is impacting what and also, just because you've been using an addin for years (i.e. Kaspersky) doesn't mean a new update to an addin can't make things go haywire - although probably not the case in this scenario in terms of Kaspersky.

As for having any A/V addin in Outlook - totally pointless if you have an active up-to-date system level A/V running. In general, Outlook A/V addins tend to cause more problems then their worth.

Suggest the focus is getting Outlook to run normally without any error messages of any kind and the first action to take would be to run a full repair of your Office install and that assumes you don't have any misbehaving 3rd party addins. Would then ensure that you have the latest Office updates.

You might also want to provide info as to whether this is an Outlook install that went from a working to non-working scenario or something that is never worked at all 

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:47 PM