none
Issues with DNS and DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I administer two different Active Directory companies, and I am having the same issue in both. I will describe it.

Both are Windows 2008 R2 Domain and forest funtional level, though in one of them there are Windows 2012 R2 Domain Controllers as well. Both use DCHP for client computers.

In both companies, the DNS tab of DHCP scope is configured as follows:

Always dynamically update DNS records

Discard both A and PTR records when lease is deleted

Dynamically update DNS records for DHCP clients that do not request updates.

Enable name protection not selected

Regarding DNS, Aging in forward lookup zones are enabled (4 days in one company, 7 in the other, both refresh and no-refresh interval)

The issue: in both company, there are dozens and even hundred duplicated records, I mean, several A records for one host, pointing to different IP addresses. Dozens of records with timestamp of 2015. 

With this problem, we try to connect to a computer, and we end connecting to another, because the IP address of the wanted target computer is ponting to another IP address, and the wanted ip address now belongs to another computer.

This doesn't happen with reserved DHCP adress, nor with computer with static address. Moreover, if I force an scavening, nothing seems to happen, all supossedly old records (i.e those with timestamp of 2015) remains there and are not erased.

I need to have consistent DNS database. How can I manage to solve this?

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:31 AM

Answers

All replies