Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am practising tutorilas which are there in the  " http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ ". There, they are mentioning about the solution file whic islocated in the following path.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Samples\Analysis Services\Tutorials\Lesson4 Start, and then double-click Analysis Services Tutorial.sln.

I opened that but while try to browse the cube or dimension, or while try to process the cube, its gettign failed with the error."OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.; 28000; Cannot open database "AdventureWorksDW2008" requested by the login. The login failed.; 42000.".  But I have admin privilage in my machine...
    Could you pls guide me how to proceed?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When I run SSAS locally on my laptop I usually use my own windows login account as the service account for SSAS and my local SQL Server RDBMS.

This will also make sure that if you have an external SQL Server data source and you have read permissions on that source, it is possible to build SSAS cubes on your local computer. I usually do this for test and prototypes.

You can change this in the configurations tool, SQL Server Configuration manager.

HTH
    Thomas Ivarsson
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I would definitely second Thomas' suggestion. Also, as a further note for future security troubleshooting, what you are seeing is that the 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' account is currently set to run your service, but it has not explicitly been given permissions to read the database and the cube.

Thomas' suggestion is also important to note when it comes to development of any components, .NET, SSIS, etc. as the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has a full set of permissions to your computer -- way more than a normal account would.  So for good development practice, change your service accounts as suggested and that way you will have fewer security and permissions issues when you migrate a solution from dev to any other environment.

BI and SQL Blog

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    • Marked as answer by Revathy Menon Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When I run SSAS locally on my laptop I usually use my own windows login account as the service account for SSAS and my local SQL Server RDBMS.

This will also make sure that if you have an external SQL Server data source and you have read permissions on that source, it is possible to build SSAS cubes on your local computer. I usually do this for test and prototypes.

You can change this in the configurations tool, SQL Server Configuration manager.

HTH
    Thomas Ivarsson
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I would definitely second Thomas' suggestion. Also, as a further note for future security troubleshooting, what you are seeing is that the 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' account is currently set to run your service, but it has not explicitly been given permissions to read the database and the cube.

Thomas' suggestion is also important to note when it comes to development of any components, .NET, SSIS, etc. as the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has a full set of permissions to your computer -- way more than a normal account would.  So for good development practice, change your service accounts as suggested and that way you will have fewer security and permissions issues when you migrate a solution from dev to any other environment.

BI and SQL Blog

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    • Marked as answer by Revathy Menon Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:33 PM