Template Route en Mass Modificaction RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings;

I belong to a small company on Venezuela named BC&A Ingenieros Consultores C.A. and we have a big problem, the thing is that we had the Template files stored in a server that from now on i will refer as "Old Server". That server was decomisioned and we changed everything to a new server with a new name and from now on i will refer to it as "New Server", however the proyects that were before this modification kept using the old files with the old route (Copy & Paste because its easy for the engeneers) that generated a good number of files (over a ten thousand files) of Word (.doc), the thing is those files keep searching the format on the Old Server Route and i need to change them to the New Server Route, thing is now the opening time is over 2 minutes, i can't do ten thousand (give or take) one by one when each file takes 2 min or plus to open.

Im thinking of writing a small program to do the fix wich is as it fallows:

1.- Open the "lost" file

2.- Wait 2 minutes or plus

3.- Go to options

4.- Complements

5.- Administrate Templates

6.- Templates and Click on "Go" on the deployable menú

7.- On Templates and Complements on the first Tab y just have to change the route to the folder containing the Template Files (Wich haven't been renamed) Example: \\ Old Server\Company Name\Templates & Formats\Reunión Note.doc And Replace it with the new route \\New Server\Company Name\Document Control\Templates & Formats\Reunión Note.doc

8.- Close and Save so everyone on the server can benefit.

However i need to make this automatic and preferably withouth opening the file, so i know the basic algorythm to make this and i am thinking of writing the progran Either in C, C++, Turbo Pascal or maybe if i can find how in the Default Simple Text Editor of Windows, but i need help on how to make this fix withouth opening the file and how to call in the instruction in wich the Template Route is stored in a document.

Thanks in Advance!

JSO (Jean Paul Ándre Schutte Orta)

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi jean Paul,

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I did find an article about possible solutions to documents opening slowly. You might take a look at some of the suggestions.

http://howtotroubleshoot.blogspot.com/2008/05/double-clicked-documents-slow-to-open.html

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hello Mr. Michaels!

First of all Thank you very much for your reply. I tested several of the solutions presented on the blog, by the author Mr. Dave or the Anonymus that replied and that gave me some ideas, however none worked for me, im still looking for solutions, until now nothing is even close to what i aim (the wait period of 2 - 3 mins per opening word file is just to long), i will post any progress i do with this problem, but for the moment i got cero solutions and a small hedache.

Will keep this thread up to date as much as posible! Good day!

JSO (Jean Paul Ándre Schutte Orta)

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:44 PM