none
Updating Project Progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I used to update the progress of my project in Ms Project Pro 2013 using the status date under the project tab. 

Today I have updated the progress of my project, and I have noticed that Ms Project has started to calculate the progress of tasks which have no resources assigned to them! How can I let Ms project consider tasks without resources as late tasks and stop it from updating the progress of the late tasks ? 

Regards, 

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is just the normal behavior. Tasks with no resource also should be tracked and can be late/on schedule/future. For example, if you build a wall, the task for drying the concrete has no resource but has to be tracked. In this case, if you update it with the "update project" button based on the status date, there will be no actual work but only actual duration. Then just update the actual duration as per the actual progress. This feature is meant to update all tasks as per the status date. If some of them are late (with or without resources), you have to adjust them manually.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Hello,

When updating project progress why dont you just select the tasks that you want to update and instead of doing the entire project just change the option to the selected tasks? So you could filter out tasks without assignments or work from the view then select all the tasks in the filtered view then when using the update project for the For option use the Selected Tasks option.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is just the normal behavior. Tasks with no resource also should be tracked and can be late/on schedule/future. For example, if you build a wall, the task for drying the concrete has no resource but has to be tracked. In this case, if you update it with the "update project" button based on the status date, there will be no actual work but only actual duration. Then just update the actual duration as per the actual progress. This feature is meant to update all tasks as per the status date. If some of them are late (with or without resources), you have to adjust them manually.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Hello,

When updating project progress why dont you just select the tasks that you want to update and instead of doing the entire project just change the option to the selected tasks? So you could filter out tasks without assignments or work from the view then select all the tasks in the filtered view then when using the update project for the For option use the Selected Tasks option.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Thanks guys! 

I think I will update the tasks manually then. 

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:49 AM