LoadGen 2013 DB initialization problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Exchange Server 2013 SP1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and trying to get LoadGen 2013 running. 

I get a failure from LoadGen after recipients are created but prior to initialization phase of DBs. There is this popup: 

Failed to count users for user group 
    UserGroup1:System.DirctoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException 
    (0x8007202B): A referral was returned from the server. 

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwlfFail) 
    at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() 
    at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() 
    at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.FindAll(BooleanfindMoreThanOne) 
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Swordfish.GUI.SummaryPage.GetADObjectCount(GlobalSettings settings, String ldapBaseDn, String ldapSearchFilter) 
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Swordfish.GUI.SummaryPage.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Note LoadGen is running on the Exchange Server 2013 machine which is also the AD and DNS server for this test case.

Monday, September 15, 2014 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi RDvirtualization,

Hope you are using the only AD server here, otherwise if you have more it might be due to replication issues.

Secondly deploying Exchange on AD is not a good idea, which might be the actual problem. To me it appears that Exchange is not able to talk to the AD component properly causing this error.

Installing Exchange on a domain controller is not recommended:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms.exch.setupreadiness.warninginstallexchangerolesondomaincontroller(v=exchg.150).aspx

*Exchange services may not start correctly when the domain controller is also a global catalog server.

Looking elsewhere found below:

"A referral is sent by an AD server when it doesn't have the information requested itself, but know that another server have the info. It usually appears in trust environment where a DC can  refer to a DC in trusted domain."

Something that LoadGen might be using in the backend:

"LDAP strings can be less than intuitive. LDAP://DC=primary,DC=secondary,DC=com which worked in most cases. But when trying to connect to its sub-domain with full trust, the string had to change to: LDAP://MyDomainController1.primary.secondary.com"

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, September 22, 2014 6:04 AM