none
Best Practice for Virtualizing 2 DC's on to a Single Hyper-V Server

Question

• Hello everyone,

I currently have two DCs: SBS 2011 (DC01) & Server 2008 (DC02) on ageing physical boxes. We purchased a new server so that we can virtualize both and run them on a single box. My questions are the following:

1. Should the third box be a physical DC (DC3) in addition to being the HyperV Server? Any advantage, disadvantage or nothing?

2. Given that it could take a while for Disk2VHD to create the VHD image, will I need to do a D2/D4 on the servers because AD may be out of synch between the two?

3. Should I virtualize and start one DC before the other or both at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

Cheers.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:43 PM

Answers

• I would not put other roles (especially ADDS) on the hyper-v host. P2V should be Ok or if possible you could build new VMs patch them fully, join, add, promote and migrate the roles over.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:07 PM

•  

1. Should the third box be a physical DC (DC3) in addition to being the HyperV Server? Any advantage, disadvantage or nothing?

No, it's not recommended to install another roles  with domain controller in same machine. 
    Take note that once a server is promoted to a DC, write caching will be disabled by default. it can .decrease virtual machine performance.

2. Given that it could take a while for Disk2VHD to create the VHD image, will I need to do a D2/D4 on the servers because AD may be out of synch between the two?

I recommend you to promote new domain controller on new virtual machine , the new virtual domain controller will replicate automatically with its partners.

3. Should I virtualize and start one DC before the other or both at the same time?

No order is required to restart domain controller. Once the domain controller is restarted , it will try to contact its partner for AD replication

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:52 PM
  • 1. Should the third box be a physical DC (DC3) in addition to being the HyperV Server? Any advantage, disadvantage or nothing?

This is possible but not recommended/advised. If you want to make it as a hypervisor then you can create a VM and install ADDS on it.

I don't advise to proceed that way for a DC. I would advise creating a new server, promoting it as a DC/DNS/GC server then decommission the old one.

Both options are possible.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:57 AM
  • I'd recommend doing it offline mode.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Well you probably can't do that as it would be required but I think if you use offline mode the P2V tool takes source offline during conversion.

• Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:30 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:14 PM
  • 1. Should the third box be a physical DC (DC3) in addition to being the HyperV Server? Any advantage, disadvantage or nothing?

This is possible but not recommended/advised. If you want to make it as a hypervisor then you can create a VM and install ADDS on it.

I don't advise to proceed that way for a DC. I would advise creating a new server, promoting it as a DC/DNS/GC server then decommission the old one.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Hi Dave, Mr. X and Thamer, thanks for the quick replies. The problem for question # 2 is that one of the DC's is an SBS2011 so moving the server roles is quite daunting. They have a functional Exchange 2010 and SharePoint 2010, DFSR and other roles which I would like to avoid having to move.

Although not ideal, could I virtualize the DC's just as they are? Would I need to D4/D4 afterwards?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:19 PM

All replies

• I would not put other roles (especially ADDS) on the hyper-v host. P2V should be Ok or if possible you could build new VMs patch them fully, join, add, promote and migrate the roles over.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:07 PM

•  

No, it's not recommended to install another roles  with domain controller in same machine. 
    Take note that once a server is promoted to a DC, write caching will be disabled by default. it can .decrease virtual machine performance.

I recommend you to promote new domain controller on new virtual machine , the new virtual domain controller will replicate automatically with its partners.

No order is required to restart domain controller. Once the domain controller is restarted , it will try to contact its partner for AD replication

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:52 PM

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:57 AM

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Hi Dave, Mr. X and Thamer, thanks for the quick replies. The problem for question # 2 is that one of the DC's is an SBS2011 so moving the server roles is quite daunting. They have a functional Exchange 2010 and SharePoint 2010, DFSR and other roles which I would like to avoid having to move.

Although not ideal, could I virtualize the DC's just as they are? Would I need to D4/D4 afterwards?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:19 PM

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:39 PM
  • It is a fact that DC's are very sensitive to hardware changes. If you are so inclined to visualizing the same DC's, I would suggest you to shutdown the DC which is being virtualized and once the p2v is complete, please remember not to bring the physical server to the network. Make sure to do one DC at a time.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:48 PM

Anything special I have to do? Disable replication or just disconnect the NIC?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

• Edited by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:16 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Well you probably can't do that as it would be required but I think if you use offline mode the P2V tool takes source offline during conversion.

• Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:30 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Thanks

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:30 PM