none
Risks Centrally Control CT - Workspace create Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a Project Server 2007 SP2 installation on WSS.

We made the decision to Manage our Risks list as a centrally controlled content type (Would like to thank Andrew for this one, really neat solution). I've update all our existing workspaces and everything is working great.

My last step is to update the Workspace template. This is where I am having a bit of an issue. When I publish a project, the workspace provisioning is failing. In troubleshooting, I manually try and create a site based on the template and i'm getting an error "The formula refers to a column that does not exist.  Check the formula for spelling mistakes or change the non-existing column to an existing column."

My content type DOES have some calculated columns, but all the columns that these rely on are part of the same content type. And, all these columns are calculating as expected on the existing workspaces.

I guess my question is, are there any known issues with workspace templates and content types? Or Calculation columns and content types? Only anomalie I can see is in the settings on the Child Content Type, I can't click on one of the columns (no hyperlink to edit the formula). Any thoughts if this might be the issue? Nothing in the logs to tell me which column is causing the trouble.

Thanking you all in advance.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:15 AM

Answers

• Had to go through 30 different combinations, and have identified the problematic field. (Just a note, the hideous naming conventions to follow are by our audit team)

Net Weighted Risk Value (Untreated) = [Untreated Cost Impact ($)]*[Untreated Probability]

The "Untreated Probability" field is also a calculated field where the fields "Likelihood_Integer" and "Consequence_Integer" are used.

Likelihood_Integer and Consequence_Integer are also both calculated columns.

Is there a known issue related to a calculated field being based on result of a calculated field which is also based on the result of another calculated field? The problem field seems to be the one that is 4th in the dependency line.

I know these work just fine when added to a list directly. I get the error when creating a list or site from a template that has these fields. Not all, just the last Net Weighted field.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hmmm.....are you sure that all of the local fields are getting instantiated
    with the template?

What happens if you create a site in SharePoint, then manually synch it to
    a project?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Monday, August 15, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Andrew.

Have tried that also, cannot create any sites using the template after it has been updated with the content type. I use the Risks List just fine, all columns appear in the view and edit forms, Risk Exposure and classifications are getting calculated. Something going wrong in the Save as a Template process or there is a corruption in the content type.

I've also tested to make sure that the baseline template is not the issue.

Any other ideas?

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Well, let's take it one step at a time:

1) Can you simply create a modified template without the CT and make that work?

2) Can you implement the CT without any custom fields, then test the template?

3) If you add fields w/o calculation, does the template still work?

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:46 PM
  • 1) Can you simply create a modified template without the CT and make that work? - Yes

2) Can you implement the CT without any custom fields, then test the template? - Yes

3) If you add fields w/o calculation, does the template still work? - Yes

4) CT with New calculation fields - Yes

5) Same template as above, I attach the CT that I am using on my Risks List - No. Error: "The formula refers to a column that does not exist.  Check the formula for spelling mistakes or change the non-existing column to an existing column."

So, one of the columns in my content type appears to have gone wacky.

I do notice though, that when I go into the child content type, of all the columns, just 1 column "Risk Classification" doesn't have a hyperlink to change it's Required/Optional/Hidden settings... Could this have something to do with it? Risk Classicification is a calculated field

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Had to go through 30 different combinations, and have identified the problematic field. (Just a note, the hideous naming conventions to follow are by our audit team)

Net Weighted Risk Value (Untreated) = [Untreated Cost Impact ($)]*[Untreated Probability]

The "Untreated Probability" field is also a calculated field where the fields "Likelihood_Integer" and "Consequence_Integer" are used.

Likelihood_Integer and Consequence_Integer are also both calculated columns.

Is there a known issue related to a calculated field being based on result of a calculated field which is also based on the result of another calculated field? The problem field seems to be the one that is 4th in the dependency line.

I know these work just fine when added to a list directly. I get the error when creating a list or site from a template that has these fields. Not all, just the last Net Weighted field.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Glad you figured it out.  I haven't gotten that in depth into calculated fields, but it's possible that could be the issue.  Project Server 2007 used to have issues with restoring custom fields referencing other custom fields....on the back end it's using some sort of field reference which would change on restore.

Maybe that's the issue with SharePoint?  You might want to consider reposting that question on the SharePoint forum....noting not to mention this is to support Project Server as they'll send you back here.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:56 PM