none
DNS Server Unresponsive RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Team,

Have a major issue i am facing in my working environment.

I have two public DNS servers for our customers, Windows Server 2008 R2 - Cloned from a physical (P2V) about 3 years ago. 

One sitting on 1 Hyper V host, the other is on another host. All zones are replicated perfectly

The issue is; Every 3 months or so, we find that the primary DNS hangs and becomes unresponsive but the weird thing is so is the second!. Which defeats the whole purpose of having two dns servers, for one to act when the other cant. 

Both gets back to normal after force reboot but i need to understand why this is happening, and why both servers can suddenly stop responding when they are on diferent host.

Please assist.

Many thanks.

Travis, A+, N+, MCTS/MCP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012

• Changed type Trav92 Monday, January 23, 2017 10:49 AM More ideas needed
    Monday, January 23, 2017 5:57 AM

All replies

• 1. is it only DNS service not working complete VM  hangs ?

2. if entire Vm hangs, is there any issue with other VMs on hyper V & any increased resource utilization issues ?

3. is there any logs before the incident ?

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Hi Sumesh,

Thanks for replying,

1. The whole VM, i cannot access by remote desktop. By hyper v console i can but stuck on login page

2. Other VMs work perfectly on the two host, resources are fine. Nothing on the host log

3. The last dns log before the incident is 3.32Am on the secondary DNS {The DNS server encountered a bad packet from 121.10.242.185.  Packet processing leads beyond packet length. The event data contains the DNS packet}. On the primary dns 3.59Am {The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from 24.138.252.19. The packet will be rejected. The event data contains the DNS packet.}

The application log the last log was 12.07Am {The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.}

Travis, A+, N+, MCTS/MCP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Hi Travis,

>> we find that the primary DNS hangs and becomes unresponsive but the weird thing is so is the second!.

What is the type of your DNS server?

Please try to use Debug Logging on DNS properties and check if there is any related information exist.

Have you tried to restart DNS server service when DNS server hangs? How about result?

What is the frequency of DNS hangs?

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by John Lii Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:07 AM