none
Do we need license for users in AD just to store there credentials

Question

• Hi,

my issue is that i have 20 internal users and approx. 45,000 clients.

My 20 users need to access the server, but, for 45,000 clients they do not need access to the server but, we need to store there login credentials just to do the SSO (Single Sign On). Do we need CAL licenses for the 45,000 users?

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hi

You should check this article about "When do I need a Client Access License (CAL)?"

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/volume-licensing/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal/

And for licensing questions you should contact to Microsoft only licensing experts can get correct information.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:25 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks  question no 3
    3 – Do my external users need a CAL?"  is of my interest and scenario.

But, if you observe the statement "The general rule is all server software access requires a CAL". In this scenario we do not want the external users to have any server software access what so ever. we just want to use AD as a dicitonary to store there username and password so that my code know where to pick up a users credentials from while performing SSO (Single Sign On). Do i still need to buy additional CAL Licenses?

Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:55 AM
  • we just want to use AD as a dicitonary to store there username and password >>> You will create&use user accounts and you need CAL's.But i already mentioned you should contact to Microsoft licensing team for licensing questions.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

If your Server is running web workloads for your Clients than you don't Need CALs. However, if your clients adds for example a widget to their shopping cart, creates an account and enters their credit card and shipping information to complete the sale – they are now authenticated via your back end commerce servers/application (non-web workload), CALs or External Connectors will be required for users to access these back end Servers.

for 45.000 as external users it's cheaper to purchase the external Connector license for unlimited users.

for confirmation & Details about licensing issues, contact Microsoft licensing support Team in your region.

thanks

diramoh

Thursday, November 24, 2016 12:26 PM
  • As far as know, only enabled users in AD will be treated a Licensed user. But would advice to check with Microsoft TAM

Thanks HA

Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:15 PM