Spam Quarantine RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of implementing FOPE to replace our old on-premise anti-spam solution.

We have about 15,000 Exchange 2010 mailboxes.

I have some questions regarding the FOPE Spam Quarantine.

Specifically, is *all* spam put in quarantine, or only 'borderline'/gray/'medium-confidence' spam?

I'm trying to decide whether to enable Spam Quarantine Notification - but I don't really want to send those out if the notification is going to list hundreds of messages that have high spam confidence level.  I really only want users to see borderline spam.

• Edited by Drew-TX Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:45 PM typo
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Drew -

No, not all spam messages are sent to the FOPE Spam Quarantine.  FOPE uses a layered defense against spam mail.  FOPE IP-reputation blocking serves as the first line of defense against unwanted email and blocks about 90 percent of inbound junk email through connection analysis and reputation analysis.  These messages are blocked at the edge and therefore are not sent to the FOPE Quarantine.  Messages that are marked as spam by other layers of FOPE's antispam defense are sent to the FOPE Quarantine.  The Understanding Antispam Protection (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715086.aspx) article goes into more detail about the various antispam technologies in FOPE.

I hope that helps,

Micah

• Marked as answer by Drew-TX Monday, April 30, 2012 6:57 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Drew -

No, not all spam messages are sent to the FOPE Spam Quarantine.  FOPE uses a layered defense against spam mail.  FOPE IP-reputation blocking serves as the first line of defense against unwanted email and blocks about 90 percent of inbound junk email through connection analysis and reputation analysis.  These messages are blocked at the edge and therefore are not sent to the FOPE Quarantine.  Messages that are marked as spam by other layers of FOPE's antispam defense are sent to the FOPE Quarantine.  The Understanding Antispam Protection (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715086.aspx) article goes into more detail about the various antispam technologies in FOPE.

I hope that helps,

Micah

• Marked as answer by Drew-TX Monday, April 30, 2012 6:57 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Hi Micah

Wow! *THE* Micah LaNasa of TechNet FOPE videos fame?! :-)

I'm feel honored to get a reply from such a reputable source.

OK, that certainly makes sense.  Spam that FOPE blocks at the connection level ("Talk to the hand") is immediately dropped and never gets into Quarantine.

Many thanks. And thanks also for all your efforts to document and explain how FOPE works.

Drew.

Monday, April 30, 2012 6:57 PM