Activation Disaster RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey Microsoft, riddle me this:

I have a brand new system.  OEM Vista SP1 Business 64-bit.  Upon every reboot, it asks me to Activate Windows.  I'm on my 3rd reboot and I'm out of activations.  I have successfully run the activation each time it asks, up till now.

Why would it keep asking me to activate?

It wants me to call the toll-free # or enter another ID to activate.

I'll supply remote access, receipts, photos, even a plane ticket so you can see this!

HOW DO YOU FIX THIS FOR ME?

Brand new system, not in production, can't activate.  What happens when a hard drive fails or a board needs to be replaced in the future.  This system is already "flagged" and it hasn't even been running for more than 4 hours!!!

And don't even pull that "did you change hardware or make serious changes to the system" stuff.  The only thing that changed was me pressing the power button on the front of the case.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:53 PM

Answers

• I agree, sometimes activation will appear when it should not and nobody really know's why?

Someone has given you mis-information about the number of activations.

A retail Product Key has no limit to the number of activations and no limit to the number of systems iot can be moved to, as ling as it's always uninstalled from the previous system.

An OEM version, (Pre-installed on the computer) has no limit on the number of times it can be activated, as long as it is still on the same, original computer.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Monday, June 2, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• Just follow the instructions and call the toll free telephone number.

You should get a recording that will tell you to enter the Product Key that you are using. When that fails, stay on the line and a live representative will answer. They will give you a new activation code.

This only takes about 5 minutes.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:00 PM
  •  

Ronnie,  the point is I shouldn't have to do this at all.  Why does it keep asking to be activated after every reboot?  I authorize it every time.  How many times am I going to have to call?

According to several people at Microsoft you are only allowed so many tries.

Can I not get a new key to start out fresh?  Perhaps there is something on the system that keeps resetting after every reboot and that is why I'm prompted.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:02 PM
  • This is the question you will need to ask the activation representative that you speak with. You may have a corrupted file or setting somewhere in the system. They should be aware of any current issues with this.

Let us know what you find out.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Here's what I found out.

According to activation, the problem occurs randomly on 1/1000 machines.  After some prodding, I was able to get "we don't know why" out of the rep.  They said if it pops up again to call in and they will see what they can do about getting me a new installation ID since this one will literally be used up.

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:42 PM
  • The problem I had with their activation is that even though I was connected to the internet it came back and said there was a problem (even though it was a fresh install of Ultimate x64) and I had to activate via phone. Fortunately, I've only had to do that once....(although technically twice since I had it installed and then re-installed because it wasn't very stable).

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:01 PM
  • I agree, sometimes activation will appear when it should not and nobody really know's why?

Someone has given you mis-information about the number of activations.

A retail Product Key has no limit to the number of activations and no limit to the number of systems iot can be moved to, as ling as it's always uninstalled from the previous system.

An OEM version, (Pre-installed on the computer) has no limit on the number of times it can be activated, as long as it is still on the same, original computer.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, June 2, 2008 10:14 PM