none
Error after upgrade of Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have Project Server 2010 installed on a single server. The install file was in Danish and no other language packs are installed.

After installing the October update without any issues, we are facing a showstopper: Certain content is missing. On the front page (top site) the ribbon is totally empty and on the Tasks page, the main content page is empty. Just to mention a couple of examples. We get an error message in the status pane i IE.

We have tried to install SP1 and also the December upgrade, in both cases without getting any errors. But the problem persists.

We have been googling around for several hours, and we have tried a few things but nothing helps. I can't see any relevant issues in the database log.

So I am desperate for freash ideas!

Could this be related to the fact that we have installed the Danish version and the upgrades might not be prepared for that? We have tried installing a language pack upgrade but was told that that was already installed.

Thanks

Jakob

• Edited by J Rohde Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi

Problem solved!

It was a weird problem/solution: Right after the initial upgrade, I added an alternate access mapping. It was this that caused the problems because when the server was originally installed, they for some reason chose to add a "HTTP Redirect" in IIS to http://servername/subsite. When we removed the redirect, everything was back to normal.

Thanks for your input!

Merry Christmas

Jakob 

• Marked as answer by J Rohde Friday, December 23, 2011 7:08 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Jakob,

So have you done these steps;

1. SharePoint Foundation Update (The general opinion is that this is still recommended to be applied)
    2. Project Server Cumulative Update Package (Not just the 'Individual Server Update' as that doesn't do SharePoint Server. The Cumulative Update Package contains all language updates)
    3. Run Config Wizard

If this has been done, does a IISReset Help? This isn't normally needed by the way, but I do it sometimes anyway.

How about backing up the 5 databases (Archive, Content, Draft, Published & Reporting) and provisioning a new PWA instance, does the result carry across?

Rob Hardy
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi Jakob,

AFAIK all of the cumulative updates now include all languages so I would not expect that to be the cause, but I'd never say never! Can you confirm the order of installation, from your post I read that you upgraded to October CU from something (assuming release version), then found issue, then applied SP1 and then Dec CU? That is a supported procedure though I would alway want to install SP1 first then the latest CU.

Also does the configuration wizard report any errors in the psconfig.log?

Otherwise what struck me was your mention of "We get an error message in the status pane i IE.", this indicates the source of the issue is in some of the jscript in the pages, so either some files have become corrupt or (better) some settings have changed. For instance did you happen to update Windows at the same time? Could IIS settings have been changed, for instance HTTP compression can lead to this kind of issue?

Rob, QQ; you mentioned that foundation update is still recommended, I'm curious about this as I have also heard it in many places, but the opposite is said in the usual places

HTH,

Martin Laukkanen (Project Server Blog - www.nearbaseline.com/blog)
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Hi

Problem solved!

It was a weird problem/solution: Right after the initial upgrade, I added an alternate access mapping. It was this that caused the problems because when the server was originally installed, they for some reason chose to add a "HTTP Redirect" in IIS to http://servername/subsite. When we removed the redirect, everything was back to normal.

Thanks for your input!

Merry Christmas

Jakob 

• Marked as answer by J Rohde Friday, December 23, 2011 7:08 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 7:08 AM