MDT application install returns unexpected return code: 16 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm using MDT 2013 (Version: 6.2.5019.0) and deploying Server 2012 R2 Standard.

The deployment runs fine, but an application install fails. Here is the relevant content from the BDD.LOG file:

Run Command: \\MDT\Share$\Tools\X64\bddrun.exe robocopy \\MDT\Share$\BuildFiles "C:" /MIR /W:5 /R:3 /LOG \\MDT\Share$\LOGS
    ZTI installing application
    About to run command: \\MDT\Share$\Tools\X64\bddrun.exe robocopy \\MDT\Share$\BuildFiles "C:" /MIR /W:5 /R:3 /LOG \\MDT\Share$\LOGS
    Command has been started (process ID 2896)
    Return code from command = 16
    Application Copy Files 1.0 returned an unexpected return code: 16
    Property InstalledApplications001 is now = {9d0ba76d-96f9-4f4f-a6b8-4b1d0ffd2007}
    ZTIApplications processing completed successfully.

I've searched for the error code 16 but can't find any results. What does it mean?
    Cheers.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:37 PM

Answers

• I think that I may have found the solution. On different site I've found the robocopy exit codes and 16 is listed there as "Robocopy did not copy any files.  Check the command line parameters and verify that Robocopy has enough rights to write to the destination folder."

I guess that I need to alter the destination folder to something other than the root of C:\

I'll respond with the result later.

UPDATE: Yep, that was the problem.
    • Edited by Kieran Walsh Friday, January 3, 2014 12:39 PM updated original response
    • Marked as answer by Kieran Walsh Friday, January 3, 2014 12:39 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:53 PM
  • Close...

MDT ZTIApplications.wsf runs on an *assumption* that errorlevel exit codes return zero ( or 3010 ) for success, and that *everything* else is a failure.

As you now understand, Robocopy runs off a different set of conventions, in this case error code 1 can mean that the copy was successful.

Recommendation is to write a script to call robocopy, and manage the error codes returned from robocopy, and only pass the real error codes to the calling MDT system.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:34 AM

All replies

• I think that I may have found the solution. On different site I've found the robocopy exit codes and 16 is listed there as "Robocopy did not copy any files.  Check the command line parameters and verify that Robocopy has enough rights to write to the destination folder."

I guess that I need to alter the destination folder to something other than the root of C:\

I'll respond with the result later.

UPDATE: Yep, that was the problem.
    • Edited by Kieran Walsh Friday, January 3, 2014 12:39 PM updated original response
    • Marked as answer by Kieran Walsh Friday, January 3, 2014 12:39 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:53 PM
  • Close...

MDT ZTIApplications.wsf runs on an *assumption* that errorlevel exit codes return zero ( or 3010 ) for success, and that *everything* else is a failure.

As you now understand, Robocopy runs off a different set of conventions, in this case error code 1 can mean that the copy was successful.

Recommendation is to write a script to call robocopy, and manage the error codes returned from robocopy, and only pass the real error codes to the calling MDT system.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:34 AM