locked
Why can't I monitor some ASP.NET web apps with APM management pack? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have found a strange problem when trying to set up ASP.NET APM monitoring. I can see only some of the apps we have deployed but not all. For example, this is a view from OpsMgr 2012 web site state view under Microsoft Windows Internet Information Services:

    There are 3 websites with total 4 apps on our IIS 2008R2. Now when I go to authoring and try to add ".Net Application Performance Monitoring" all I get in object search is only ones from first website (I'd expect 2 more):

    So I clearly get apps from this IIS but only the ones under Castle.Services but not the other ones from Castle and Castle.Admin branches.

    One difference I can see immediately is that the asp.net apps that are missing in "object search" are applications residing directly in their websites (root/default apps).  Is this OM12 APM requirement that monitored ASP.NET app must be added under website as application and not root/deault apps of a website ? 

    I'd appreciate your help clarifying this odd limitation and possible reason for this. Thank you for help!

    Best Regards,

    Jakub Szmigielski




    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:04 PM

All replies

  • After couple of hours lost on testing this I think that it might be something else not "root type" asp.net application being the cause for not showing up as "IIS 7 ASP.NET Application Endpoint" and consequently not able to monitor it with APM. However I have no clue what governs this. I'd appreciate any help on this.

    Thanks!

    Jakub

    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I find the OP12 APM very frustrating. With AViCode5.7 standalone I could get APM working in about an hour. Now in OP12RC I can not see half of ASP.NET apps discovered and no real support from OP12 tooling to troubleshoot the discovery process results (or lack of).

    When I run through operations console task "List All IIS Applications" I get this list:

    Output

     

    APP "Default Web Site/" (applicationPool:DefaultAppPool)
    APP "Default Web Site/trk" (applicationPool:DefaultAppPool)
    APP "Default Web Site/MapHost2" (applicationPool:DefaultAppPool)
    APP "Default Web Site/MVCApp1" (applicationPool:MvcAppPool)

    But the OM discovered Items merely include "Default Web Site/trk" app:

    Sadly I have to say it is killing whole purpose of AViCode integrated into OMAPM if it cant be even configured and used properly.

    Jakub

    Friday, December 23, 2011 12:59 PM