Importing Custom MPs fails from 2012 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We're migrating from SCOM 2012 R2 to a a completely new SCOM 2016 environment with new management servers, new management groups etc. Now it's been a smooth ride so far but we're having problems with some custom sealed MPs we used in 2012 R2. I've exported them from our old site to the new, but importing them fails with "The dependencies for this management pack cannot be located." although the dependant MP already IS imported. It's two MP files, one for the actual MP and one with our overrides.

I've looked through the xml code for each MP file but they seem alright to me and after all it works fine in our 2012 R2 SCOM group. 

Could really use some help here guys, thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2018 12:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated!

I exported all MPs (both unsealed and sealed) from the old management group using powershell (get-scommanagementpack | export-scommanagement etc) to .xml, but you're saying that I need the original .mp-files? I didn't know that.

Sorry to say, what you did here using PowerShell. 

You have exported all your MPs no matter either they are sealed or not. But when you performed this query on MS, it has removed all the keys and binaries of sealed MP in background and given you in readable XML format.

So now the error is because of this above explained operations since unsealed MP cannot be use a referenced MP again.

You can only import sealed MP of the same version (if compatible to SCOM 2016) in new SCOM 2016.

Now if you want to run workflow like earlier then find the sealed MP. Or you can give a try to seal this MP and check if it works.

Give a look to below thread:-

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinjustin/2017/08/24/sealing-scom-mps/ 

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

• Edited by GouravIN Friday, August 31, 2018 11:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by RonHextall Monday, September 3, 2018 7:29 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2018 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you cross-check the references? Are they matching?

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:03 PM
  • Hi, thanks

Yeah they match for the dependant MP that fails, both version and publickeytoken. It's just not one MP that fails, it's several. 

Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:11 PM
  • See the image below to see what I mean, in this case we have a custom MP with overrides for NAV 2015 that for some reason can't be imported although the Dynamics NAV 2015 already is imported.

• Edited by RonHextall Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:33 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

From what I see, this MP isn't for SCOM 2016 per docs. Maybe that could be the problem. See other failing MP's, are they compatible with SCOM 16?

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

From what I see, this MP isn't for SCOM 2016 per docs. Maybe that could be the problem. See other failing MP's, are they compatible with SCOM 16?

Cheers

Yeah, that could very well be the case. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have a look later on the other MPs. Cheers
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:49 PM
  • See the image below to see what I mean, in this case we have a custom MP with overrides for NAV 2015 that for some reason can't be imported although the Dynamics NAV 2015 already is imported.

In your case the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.2015 is an unsealed management pack. Other management packs can't use it as reference until you seal it and reimport.

Vladimir Zelenov | http://systemcenter4all.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by GouravIN Friday, August 31, 2018 3:00 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:48 PM
  • Hi There,

As Vladimir stated follow these steps i had a same issue with me and what i did after sealing MP i can import it.

Just to cross check you can export any MP, after export the MP is in XML and now try to import. I am sure you cannot do this. So only option try to find sealed version of MP which have references in it or do seal by self.

On a top notch, We can export sealed MP but cannot import it again on another MS. We have to find sealed MP :)

• Edited by GouravIN Friday, August 31, 2018 3:38 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2018 3:04 AM
  • >>we're having problems with some custom sealed MPs we used in 2012 R2. I've exported them from our old site to the new, but importing them fails with "The dependencies for this management pack cannot be located." although the dependant MP already IS imported.
    As far as i know, there is no option for export sealed MP. As a result, i suggest you to find out original sealed MP and import it into SCOM 2016.
    Roger
    Friday, August 31, 2018 3:36 AM
  • Wait, I thought you imported the sealed MS MP in SCOM 2016?

If it's unsealed, of course it can not be referenced.

@Roger:

>>As far as i know, there is no option for export sealed MP.<<

Slight correction, you can not export sealed MP from console. With Powershell it is possible.

Cheers

Friday, August 31, 2018 3:50 AM

I exported all MPs (both unsealed and sealed) from the old management group using powershell (get-scommanagementpack | export-scommanagement etc) to .xml, but you're saying that I need the original .mp-files? I didn't know that.

Friday, August 31, 2018 8:10 AM
  • What you basically need are the "sealed" MP's because unsealed MP's can not be referenced. So if the ones you're dependednt on are MS or vendor MP's, import them again so that you will not have to seal them manually now.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Friday, August 31, 2018 9:19 AM

Sorry to say, what you did here using PowerShell. 

You have exported all your MPs no matter either they are sealed or not. But when you performed this query on MS, it has removed all the keys and binaries of sealed MP in background and given you in readable XML format.

So now the error is because of this above explained operations since unsealed MP cannot be use a referenced MP again.

You can only import sealed MP of the same version (if compatible to SCOM 2016) in new SCOM 2016.

Now if you want to run workflow like earlier then find the sealed MP. Or you can give a try to seal this MP and check if it works.

Give a look to below thread:-

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinjustin/2017/08/24/sealing-scom-mps/ 

• Edited by GouravIN Friday, August 31, 2018 11:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by RonHextall Monday, September 3, 2018 7:29 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2018 11:27 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation!

The original MP files may unfortunately be lost so I guess my only hope is to seal them again if I can't find them.

Monday, September 3, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Looks like I found the original MP files. Thanks all for the help, case closed!
    Monday, September 3, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Sound cool, Enjoy Sir :)

Monday, September 3, 2018 7:35 AM