none
Data Protection group that has gotten behind. RRS feed

• Question

• Can I dump a fresh transfer of all of the files into a Replica Directory in order to catch up on a Protection group that has gotten out of sync with the protected server and then run a sync job again?

• Edited by Ed Murray Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:18 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can absolutely do this.  I have done it several times.  I use robocopy to update the files in the replica with a fresh copy (usually on a USB drive that was recently shipped to the DPM server location).  Once robocopy is done do a consist check.

The only downside is that your recovery point volume may see a larger-than-normal recovery point due the robocopy not working on the block level.  If a file is different it will recopy the entire thing, so the next rec point will be larger.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the replica is inconsistent - then DPM will need to perform a consistency check before normal synchronization jobs can resume. There is nothing you can do to avoid that. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Sure I understand that but will it make the consistency check faster by adding the missing files into the replica. (I should point out that the protected server is remote) 
    • Edited by Ed Murray Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Yes, you can absolutely do this.  I have done it several times.  I use robocopy to update the files in the replica with a fresh copy (usually on a USB drive that was recently shipped to the DPM server location).  Once robocopy is done do a consist check.

The only downside is that your recovery point volume may see a larger-than-normal recovery point due the robocopy not working on the block level.  If a file is different it will recopy the entire thing, so the next rec point will be larger.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Ok thanks for pointing that out Rob. Just what I needed to know.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:28 PM