User profile photos not updating in SFB after uploading to Exchange On Line RRS feed

• Question

• Users want properly sized photos to appear when engaged in Skype FB calls, but most are only seeing the blown up copy of their small photo (96X96P?). I have learned through Internet searches that Microsoft only recommends updating the Skype/Exchange photo by using PowerShell Set-userPhoto command. I have tried this and on some of my colleagues' Skype contacts view, the profile photo has changed, on others, it hasn't. The photo in Exchange changes immediately after running the script.

Our environment: Hybrid Exchange 2013 on prem/cloud,  Skype for Business 2016 with Lync Server 2013 in the back end. We are using Office 2016 on most Desktops. In my testing for this question I am using Windows 10 2015 on my desktop.

P.S. I have tried deleting the recommended folder on my local PC in the %appdat% folders to no immediately noticeable avail (Trace, Sip).

24 hours after updating my photo using Set-UserPhoto,, one of my colleagues sees the new photo in Skype, but another colleague doesn't.

How can I reliably upload new (648X648P) photos to have the Skype profile photo update properly for everyone?

gm.ca

Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi gm.ca,

Welcome to our forum.

After you upload the picture from Exchange side, picture should be shown in Skype for business client. To this issue, we suggest you do the following steps for troubleshooting:

1. Enter “Ctrl” key and right click SFB icon in taskbar, choose “Configuration Information”
    2. Check the status of “MAPI Information” and “EWS information” if it is OK
    3. If not, we suggest you build this account on another PC to check if the issue persist

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.            

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:21 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi gm.ca,

Just curious, did you ever manage to find a solution for this as I experience the same problem after we have begun to migrate our users to Exchange Online. Still have the Skype server on-prem and Exchange in a hybrid. Photos are replicated to our Azure AD, but not to our on-prem Skype as it did earlier.

Hope you can help shed a light in this issue.

Best regards.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:34 AM
  • I am finding that the photos gradually get changed over time when I use the PowerShell Set-userPhoto command to upload the photos. It seems the old photo gets cached on the client PCs for a while so although the photo may actually be correct on the Skype server, it may take a couple of weeks before a user who has a cached version of the old photo stored locally, sees the new image in SFB.

I am using the URL https://outlook.office365.com/ews/Exchange.asmx/s/GetUserPhoto?email=user.id@mydomain.com&size=HR648x648   (replace user.id@mydomain.com with the user's proper email address in this URL) to check if the photo got stored properly in Office365.

I have not found a way to be 100% sure every user will see the right photo in SFB, but this seems to be the best method available at the time, and I have not heard of any(wrong photo)  issues in nearly one year.

I found this Microsoft Office 365 map which demonstrates the complexity of changing the user photos across the federated Office365 applications:  http://paulryan.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/userphotosflow.png

In response to Jim XU, when I follow your instructions, my MAPI information is OK, my EWS information displays, "EWS unavailable, retrying connection".

gm.ca

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:07 PM