none
Multiple Quantities with same WBS (But an item can finish Earlier) RRS feed

• Question

• First post on forum , hello to all the experts out there

so i work as mechanical engineer recently assigned a really big project, i decided to use ms project to keep track of work done on project and make weekly reports. i have only used ms project in university.

1. i ran into a problem so the there is a mechanical assembly has multiple components and then they go into subassemblies and then final assembly, there are 4 of these final assemblies but run through same operations. while making the wbs i did not treat all four as seperate items but treat them as one. now some parts are ready to go for next operation but not all, since my items are combined i cannot think of a way to clearly track them, should i tread them as ring A B C D and then write wbs for all single items ?

2. also how should i get actual date of project since many things are not started yet but in project they should be done by now (should i update status date and then update project then reschedule all task to get the project finish date ) or use baselines i cannot quite understand that

please help 

attached is project 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AncquQdtXciVg10tkji1njcVbQdW?e=nZ0gUP

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 3:28 AM

Answers

• Your previous file worked and leveled ok for me after I fixed the 17 hours of work.

It gets less confusing with more practice.

Many people think that this work is easy and trivial and no special education or training is necessary because anyone can do it by intuition. But you begin to see that there is more to it than that when you make the first attempt.

If you want it to work, you have to stick to the rules.

Task 26 has no successor. Same for 90, 122. See previous advice.

66, 98, 130 has no resources assigned.

It levels OK for me.

I use this basic set of options. All checkboxes off.

Your priorities are still set.

If you want to identify the supplier as a resource, but do not want its tasks to be leveled, just make it a material type resource.

This is my option set for a first pass, for starters.

Monday, March 23, 2020 4:27 AM

All replies

• I have seen the program.

Your first point indicates that you have just not broken the project down into a sufficiently fine level of detail to achieve the control and tracking resolution that you need. Chop it up into smaller pieces.

Your second point is about how to track progress. This topic has been discussed many hundreds of times on this forum over the years.

Your program has immediate problems and issues, apart from the lack of sufficient level of detail.

You have resources assigned to summaries ID 2 and ID 6. Don't do that.

You have predecessors and successors assigned to summaries. Don't do that.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 4:24 AM
  • Thank you for the reply

so i recreated the project with separate wbs for each assembly separate as a b c and d
    but for some reason now i am not able to resource level them , what i am doing wrong , when i level all still few remained over allocated

attached
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AncquQdtXciVg1_p0OJzfRnuqtuU?e=zX4Nn9

Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:44 PM
  • You don't say how you were attempting to level.

What options and settings do you have in resource, leveling options?

"Some reason"?

LV remains over-allocated even after leveling because you have assigned 17 hours of work on two 1 day tasks, ID 110, ID 111, on 02/03/2020 and 03/03/2020. Each of those days is 08:00 - 12:00, 13:00 - 17:00, and the definition of "day" in file, options, schedule is 8 hours. Leveling cannot resolve from an impossible starting point.

You would get the same result, for example, if you assigned a resource to a summary and also to one of its tasks.

You don't say how you did this 17 hours of work assignment. Notice that MSP will allow you to do this, if you insist, even though it does not make sense. But the over-allocation is trying to warn you.

I can increase the work to, say, 18 hours, while keeping the duration at 1 day, if I first set the task type (task information, advanced) to fixed duration, and effort driven is off.

If I reduce the work to 8 hours everything works fine. Levels ok, and moves the overall finish from 02/04/2020 to 15/05/2020.

Saturday, March 21, 2020 10:46 PM
  • Your plan still has tasks which have no successor, 123, 124, 125.

Every task should have at least one FS0 predecessor and at least one FS0 successor.

The way you have the Gantt chart view and the entry table set up makes it very hard to read what's going on. You can set it up better.

Use view, table, more tables to edit the entry table and remove text wrapping on the name field. Then view, outline, all subtasks. Select all rows by clicking on top left corner above the ID numbers column. The drag the row height to just one row high.

Put some useful gridlines on the chart.

Saturday, March 21, 2020 11:00 PM
  • i read all your recommendations , thanks a lot , as i already mentioned that i haven't used ms project a lot hence i make stupid mistakes here and there for example 17 hours and one day time duration that was accidental . even after fixing this i am unable to level them all.

options of leveling , yes i looked into it and yes i unchecked the splitting of task reason , if a task is running on a machine i don't want to stop and give machine other task to work on because machine will take time to setup which would be doubled if task is split.

now i also set priorities to tasks which takes longer to do but even then, its not following the pattern

and for supplier i don't know how to level it because supplier deliver us material in one shot but yes it took 10 days to deliver or how can i assign tasks to run parallel but still won't overallocate supplier ?

initially all i wanted to make a simple project to track progress, but now i am confusing more and more, your help is much appreciated it would be a good learning lesson

attached is updated project
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AncquQdtXciVg2BwGlD3FbMm9xbn?e=BGclsK

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:04 AM
  • Your previous file worked and leveled ok for me after I fixed the 17 hours of work.

It gets less confusing with more practice.

Many people think that this work is easy and trivial and no special education or training is necessary because anyone can do it by intuition. But you begin to see that there is more to it than that when you make the first attempt.

If you want it to work, you have to stick to the rules.

Task 26 has no successor. Same for 90, 122. See previous advice.

66, 98, 130 has no resources assigned.

It levels OK for me.

I use this basic set of options. All checkboxes off.

Your priorities are still set.

If you want to identify the supplier as a resource, but do not want its tasks to be leveled, just make it a material type resource.

This is my option set for a first pass, for starters.

Monday, March 23, 2020 4:27 AM
  • Thank you very much for all help , i was finally able to level it, i see that day by day allocation failed to allocate resources properly, do you know why ..

now i am on to next stage logging in progresses and tracking late task and forecasting project complete dates
    do you have some suggestions for better start so i won't make some silly mistake.

can also please recommend good learning resources i have seen few you tube courses.

thanks once again

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 1:54 AM
  • Day by day resolution won't allow leveling to (completely) resolve an over-allocation if the over-allocation is just a few minutes or hours. You can see this more clearly if you use the task usage view, resource usage view or the resource graph view.

I have been doing this for more than 20 years and I still make silly mistakes.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=projectprofessional2010general

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_project?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/microsoft.public.project

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:40 AM