PC stuck momentarily when HDD works (read /write) RRS feed

• Question

• The problem I have is that constantly, when the hard drive works (ie the LED lights indicating you are reading / writing), the PC slows down momentarily. It is noted for example in the mouse (the cursor is "stuck" half a second, repeatedly for one or two seconds), or if I'm listening to music from an internet radio station, the music also gets "stuck", repeating a syllable for a moment (example: "la, la, la, and continues). The more you use the hard drive (ie copying a large file), the more acute the problem is.

All PC drivers are installed (at least the PC does not alert a driver is missing.) The PC discs operates with RAID1. The RAID1 seems to be well configured. I started the PC with both discs separately, but I have the same problem.

The PC has:
    Windows XP (SP3).
    ASUS P5K  MotherBoard.
    RAM: 4 Gigabytes.
    Processor: Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz, 1333FSB, L2: 6MB, 65W, rev.C0
    BIOS: AMI Version: 0704.
    HDD: two hard drives in RAID1, Seagate 7200.10, 500 GB, ST3500630AS, firmaware: 3.AAK, Device Type: HDD 3GNCQ
    RAID Controller: I found two possible names for the RAID controller:
    -> JMicron JMB36X version: 1.17.15.0 (03/24/2007)
    -> JRAID SCSI Disk Device 5.1.2535.0 (07/01/2001)
    Moreover, each HD driver is: Intel (R) ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 to 2921.

What do you think the problem is? What may be happening and how do you think I can solve it?
    Thank you very much.

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:26 PM

All replies

• If all of your hardware works fine, then it is the software problem.

Please check your RAM usage of programs with Process Explorer.

Some security programs like McAfee, while updating, extremely kills the performance of your computer.

Ryan Kim
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:01 PM