none
Windows 10 Creators Update and VPN Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone.

I have 5 computers here that regularly (multiple times per week) connect to the office via VPN using Windows built in VPN support.

Recently, 4 of these computers received the Windows 10 Creators Update and immediately upon receiving this update were no longer able to connect to the VPN.  Often they fail completely, sometimes they claim to succeed in connecting but cannot access any network resources... 

The computer that is still running the prior version of Windows 10 is still able to connect.

I have tried to trouble shoot the issue.  I have created a new VPN Connection, created new credentials on the router, attempted to connect from various locations and through different equipment (All of which works for the computer that doesn't have the Creators Update).  No luck.

Our office relies on VPN in order to function and runs Windows products exclusively.  This means that this bug / issue is severely crippling our offices.

Has anyone else experienced this, know of a fix, or have suggestions that I could try to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:11 PM

All replies

• Does anyone know if there is a fix in the works for this?  Microsoft really messed up here and I think a solution is warranted...

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 8:56 PM
  • Hi - not sure if you've found the answer elsewhere yet, but the answer I located (for the Surface Pro 4 at least) was to go into device manager & delete ALL of the WAN miniport devices in the network adaptors section, before going back in there & scanning for hardware changes, which brings them all back again - rebooted & volia VPN worked again!

(not my solution by the way, but posted elsewhere, so tried & it worked!)

• Edited by SirLegend Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:17 AM fix up spelling
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Thank you.  I found that solution as well and it did not work.  

I appreciate your help.  It is amazing to me that Microsoft would be so careless as to allow such a serious issue into a release product.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:15 PM
  • I am also having this problem. After creators update on the VPN host computer, I can no longer connect. I noticed that the VPN port 1723 is NOT listening. I tried re-creating the Incoming Connection, tried deleting the WAN miniport for PPTP and reinstalling it, and checked that Routing and Remote Access Service is running (it is), but when I run netstat -an |find /i "listening", port 1723 is NOT shown. I installed all of the Sep-12-2017 updates yesterday.

• Edited by 2000000 Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:12 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:03 PM
  • Oh PHEW!

Thank God it is not just me that is having problems connecting!

I've been trying for a few hours now but it looks like Microsoft still has some work to do.

All parameters on my client and on my server are fine.

And I know I haven't lost my mind because prior to the Creators build, my VPN was working quite nicely!

And I was so looking forward to having it working.

Oh well, maybe next patch...

Friday, September 15, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hi - not sure if you've found the answer elsewhere yet, but the answer I located (for the Surface Pro 4 at least) was to go into device manager & delete ALL of the WAN miniport devices in the network adaptors section, before going back in there & scanning for hardware changes, which brings them all back again - rebooted & volia VPN worked again!

(not my solution by the way, but posted elsewhere, so tried & it worked!)

Hello,

that worked for me on my Surface Pro 2017, thank you! 
    Was really afraid since I'm using the Surface as a company laptop and I have to login into a customer network and if it wouldn't work anytime soon I would get a lot of problems. 

Regards,

Martin

Monday, October 23, 2017 10:25 AM
  • didn't help anything above

I've deleted last cumulitive update from 11.04.2018 - vpn started work fine, without any other manipulations.

I'm using win10 1709, vpn - l2tp/ipsec

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 5:32 AM