none
Changed project start date to be later but no task dates are updated RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a new Project file for a new project that hasn't started. It has no actuals yet. There are about 1,000 tasks, and only about 10-15 have a constraint other than "soon as possible." Due to a delay by the customer (you heard about that little federal government shutdown we had?) the project start has been delayed.

    I updated the Project Start date (Project, Project Information, Start Date) to make it 27 working days later. However, no other dates in the project have changed. I was expecting that the tasks with no constraints and no predecessors would be updated to start on the new project start date, but they still start on the old date.

    I do not want to start adding constraints on the initial tasks just to push them to the right to synch to the project start date. How can I force unconstrained tasks to start on the new project start date?


    Making the world a better place one fret at a time

    Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:06 PM

All replies

  • six strings,

    First of all, which version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack?

    Go to File/Options/Schedule group. Is the option for "auto scheduled tasks scheduled on" set for Project Start Date or it it set for Current Date? If the latter, change it. Does that fix it?

    John

    Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:07 PM
  • Are you using Automatic tasks?  Versus the default manual tasks?   If not automatic, then make them automatic.

    Do all the task a have dependencies?


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:02 AM
    Moderator
  • Thank you for your quick replies. After further review I discovered that a kickoff task which I though had no predecessors (because it shouldn't) in fact had a predecessor. That was preventing this task from being rescheduled when the project start date changed. Once I removed the predecessor, everything worked as expected.

    Sorry for the false alarm and thank you again for your interest and support.

    Jeff


    Making the world a better place one fret at a time

    • Proposed as answer by John - Project Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:27 PM
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:03 PM