Where Can I Go to Find a List of the Latest Servicing Stack Update for Each Version of Windows ? RRS feed

• Question

• What I want to know is, where can I go to find a list of the latest servicing stack update for each version of Windows ?

I've tried and you can't search the Windows Update Catalogue, WSUS or System Center, as the update's Details page just contains generic rubbish like this (below).  The only place I can find actual details on a servicing stack update is on the Microsoft Knowledge Base listing, but this requires that I be aware of the servicing stack update's release and its KB number.  I want to know, at any given point in time, all the latest servicing stack updates by Windows version.  This will enable me to make sure they're pushed out on our servers before I push out other updates using SCCM / WSUS, so the update process is as reliable as possible.

Edit: For clarification, the 'Servicing Stack' in Windows is the Windows Update client.  Like all other Windows components, it gets patched from time-to-time.  Which is to say Windows Update gets updated by itself.  I'm seeking a list of the latest versions of these updates.

Bulletin ID:

Article ID: 3177467
    Date revised: 09 October 2018
    Maximum severity rating: Critical
    Description:
    Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    Applicable languages:

Affected products:
    Windows Server 2008 R2

-- huddie71 ~~If you~re not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn~t be here.~~

• Edited by huddie71 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:49 AM Added description of 'Servicing Stack'.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 11:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Huddie,

the list was published a few months back when the SSUs were re-classified as Security Updates:

ADV990001 | Latest Servicing Stack Updates
    https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/ADV990001

Hope this helps,
    Andrei

We could change the world, if God would give us the source code.

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

Have the problem solved? Please feel free to contact me if there is more issues. I would appreciate it if you could mark the replies as answers when the problem is solved.

I also do the research of SSU for other server:

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Johnston, I think it would be a good idea if you could propose internally in Microsoft that a regularly updated list of the latest SSUs for Windows Workstation and Server be published online.  I'm suggesting this as it would seem that the answer to my original post is that no such list is currently published.  Such a list would help anyone doing fresh builds on workstations and servers and creating PC images to get the relevant SSU installed before doing other MS Updates.  I know from experience that this approach greatly improves Windows Update reliability.

In the meantime, thanks for sourcing the latest SSUs as of October 2018.

-- huddie71 ~~If you~re not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn~t be here.~~

• Marked as answer by huddie71 Monday, November 12, 2018 12:05 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2018 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm providing the informaiton about the update history of server 2008 R2:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

Is this kind of inforation you wanted? 

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

I'm providing the informaiton about the update history of server 2008 R2:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

Is this kind of inforation you wanted? 

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================

Thanks Johnson, but all you've done is send me a list of all the updates by KB number for one specific version of Windows (albeit the client and server variants).  I could have easily got this myself and, needless to say, it's of no use to me whatsoever.  As I suspect you maybe didn't understand the question, I've added some clarification in the 'Edit'.  I hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Here is the list od SSU for Cumulative updates by myself. Hope it is heful.

For more details of each Cumulative updaet sand SSU, please refer the followings:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4464330

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:56 AM
  • Hi, 

After searching, I find the related information about servicing stack updates for each OS version: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=servicing%20stack%20update%20Windows%2010

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================

Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

Here is the list od SSU for Cumulative updates by myself. Hope it is heful.

For more details of each Cumulative updaet sand SSU, please refer the followings:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4464330

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================

Many thanks Johnson.  Do you have any for Windows Server too ?

Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

In my provided table, There is a line: 

It is the lastest SSU for the latest Cumulative updates for the server 2016. There are also some other SSU for other Cumulative updates in the following article:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4457127

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

Have the problem solved? Please feel free to contact me if there is more issues. I would appreciate it if you could mark the replies as answers when the problem is solved.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Friday, October 26, 2018 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================

Johnston, I think it would be a good idea if you could propose internally in Microsoft that a regularly updated list of the latest SSUs for Windows Workstation and Server be published online.  I'm suggesting this as it would seem that the answer to my original post is that no such list is currently published.  Such a list would help anyone doing fresh builds on workstations and servers and creating PC images to get the relevant SSU installed before doing other MS Updates.  I know from experience that this approach greatly improves Windows Update reliability.

In the meantime, thanks for sourcing the latest SSUs as of October 2018.

• Marked as answer by huddie71 Monday, November 12, 2018 12:05 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2018 12:04 PM
  • Ok, so I've discovered a definitive way of determining the current SSU for every supported Windows version each month.  

The Good News:

Microsoft this month started including the current SSU for each supported Windows version in their Security Update Alerts.  SSUs can be identified in the monthly Alert: Microsoft Security Update Release emails from msprem@microsoft.com.  These are received just before Patch Tuesday.

The Bad News:

You must be subscribed and, going be the from email address, you probably need to be a Premier Support customer.  I'm not sure how to subscribe as someone did this for me.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:38 PM
  • Ok, so Microsoft have just issued some new SSUs.  However, they've not bothered to include them in their latest Alert - Microsoft Security Update Release email, or even announce them at all.  This caused me no end of headaches this week as the new SSUs caused the previous ones to be superseded and removed from SCCM / WDS / WSUS in our environment.  There is no way to track this change other than sleuthing.  The usual lack of communication from Microshite.  For your information, here are the latest SSUs for Windows 10 (marked 'not superseded').  I hope this helps you all.  Again, Microsoft need to keep a published, up-to-date list like this for everyone to see.

We don't appear to have …     Win10 v1507 10.0.10240

Superseded:     KB3173428 SSU Win10 v1511 10.0.10586

Not superseded: KB4035632 SSU Win10 v1511 10.0.10586

Not superseded: KB4465659 SSU Win10 v1607 10.0.14393 Prerequisite KB4132216

Not superseded: KB4465660 SSU Win10 v1703 10.0.15063

superseded:     KB4465661 SSU Win10 v1709 10.0.16299

Not superseded: KB4477136 SSU Win10 v1709 10.0.16299

superseded:     KB4465663 SSU Win10 v1803 10.0.17134

Not superseded: KB4477137 SSU Win10 v1803 10.0.17134

superseded:     KB4465664 SSU Win10 v1809 10.0.17763

Not superseded: KB4470788 SSU Win10 v1809 10.0.17763

Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:19 PM
  • To add insult to injury MS has also not superseded KB4456665 for 1803, so you can say that it is a "prerequisite" to KB4477137

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:38 PM
  • To add insult to injury MS has also not superseded KB4456665 for 1803, so you can say that it is a "prerequisite" to KB4477137

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Well spotted.  Just added this to my SSU deployment, thanks.  

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will publish that list...

Thursday, January 3, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Hi Huddie,

the list was published a few months back when the SSUs were re-classified as Security Updates:

Hope this helps,
    Andrei

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hi Huddie,

Hope this helps,
    Andrei

Fantastic Andrei.  Hopefully MS keep updating this going forward!  Many thanks.

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:49 PM
  • Definitely, that is why the Advisory Bulletin no starts with 99 aka 2099 :).

Glad I could help,
    Andrei

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:07 AM
  • SADLY!!!    SADLY!!   I found this site Andrei gave to us about 3 weeks ago, and was so excited. I knew I could come back to it and get all the SSU's I needed so I could push to over several thousand servers if needed, and I KNOW at least 250 servers. I NOW knew I had a little time before 2nd Tuesday (DEC), so I of course relaxed a little... SO, I just logged into another healthcare center we own and was about to so SSU's manually just on 5 servers... I went to download, and it said download unavailable... try later... I came back to my systems, and in other domains, and the SSU's don't even show up.. I HATE to say, and PRAY this site was not taken down... I really really hope they are updating it for the month since Dec patch Tues is about to happen, and it is not goone for good... when you have to be responsible for 1000's of servers patching, you NEED the SSU's and NOT to have to crawl through all the BS to get them!!

Thanks and goodluck to all!

Stoney

Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:29 PM