SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 Upgrade Sliverlight not installing causing sccm Client not to install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I upgraded my SCCM Primary server and remote servers. I tested a workstation deployment. I found the deployment stopped because the SCCM client did not install. The cause of the SCCM client not installing was the Sliverlight.exe  didn't install. I checked the version of both and they were updated on the Primary server, but I not sure why they are not deploying. When I created a task Sequence and had the Sliverlight_64.exe /q install the sccm client installed and my workstation deployment was successful. During the deployment I have an application Task Sequence that installs Office2010.exe 64 and a few small applications. Office didn't install, but the other small applications did.  I am new to System Center, so I don't know where to look to make sure the update of system center was successful and all files were copied successfully.  I see reference to delete the contents of the System Management container in AD using ADSI, but not sure how to check if I need to do that or not.  Any Ideas and steps would be appreciated. 
    • Edited by SETA IT Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:23 PM

Answers

• No worries, ENGL Imaging Took Kit 10.0.2 is fully compactable with SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 to 1602.

Here is a link to their web site to check out their Imaging product.

https://www.engl.co.uk/

They have videos of the process and very good support, but they are in the UK, so for me it they are 12 hours ahead. So I am up early drinking my coffee looking at my tickets and asking question via updates to the ticket. They use to have webx, but they stop that. Not sure why.

Any way I have Windows 10 fully integrated now. The new SCCM Client fixed their Sliverlight.exe problem. However, I was able to handle the problem through ENGL customization script Before Phase 1 VBS. which called the Silverlight.exe file before the SCCM client was installed for SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 build.

Thank you all for your help.  

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:45 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 10:38 PM

All replies

• Dear Sir,

Please don't delete the contents of the System Management container in AD.

There are a lot of Guide about upgrading to R2 SP1 and about how to check after upgrade. There are also methods for client upgrade and console upgrade, see below guide for an example.

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-2012-r2-sp1-upgrade/

If you want to track the root cause why Silverlight.exe failed to install, you need to post setup logs. ccmsetup.log and client.msi.log under C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:06 AM
  • The cause of the SCCM client not installing was the Sliverlight.exe  didn't install.
    Office didn't install, but the other small applications did.  

That#s not possible then. The client is needed in order to install software. How did you determine that the client was not installed?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:36 AM
  • I use ENGL Imaging Tool kit that has a ztoolkit.log file that you can monitor the installation live stages. During phase 1 the ccm client is installed and the the workstation reboots and goes to phase 2 which is workstation registration with AD.  The trace log just show the install waiting because the serve is not present. The service is provided my the CCM client. In the workstation CCM\log files I found reference to Sliverlight not installing and the CCM client going from automatic install to manual install which causes it to go out to the internet and download a bunch of files and then try to install, which failed and then the files that were downloaded are deleted. So that is how I determine I had a dependent application that needed to be installed before the CCM client could be installed.  I found the CCM and the sliverlight clients on the SCCM server and checked their versions. The CCM and Sliverlight files were upgraded to the current version during the upgrade process, so that's why I was wondering why the Silverlight and CCM client didn't install and switched install modes.  I did use the Upgrade guide referenced in the reply and did check the  areas mention to see if the upgrade was successful and everything checked out.  I fixed the Office install problem by removing the installation task sequence and recreating it on the SCCM server.  On the next build of a workstation, Office installed along with the other apps listed in the task sequence. 

So I am still puzzled of why the upgraded Sliverlight application failed to install ?

Thank you for your reply's.

Friday, May 13, 2016 4:19 PM
  • The basic steps are: build & capture OSD with SCCM, then deploy captured image with SCCM with basic settings. After,only after that, you should try apps that bring additional logic with them. i.e. first - basic functionality, then - basic + additional logic/func.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 9:40 PM
  • Yes, If I were using SCCM to build the image, I would use the route, but I am using ENGL imaging toolkit that installs the sccm client in phase one of their script.  The sccm client didn't install because the sliverlight.exe didn't install even though the sccm client was upgraded sccm.wim file and called in the script that was upgraded in the current build in SCCM2012 R2 SP1.  At this point unless some can shed light on why the Sliverlight.exe didn't install before the sccm client, this conversation is no longer of use, but I appreciate the replies.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 5:16 PM
  • If your software does not depend on sccm logic (use only transport or smth. like this), you should ask that vendor to help you.

If sccm (it's my point of view,sorry, didn't find way of operating that software makes) is able to perform OSD logic, deploy OS itself, use it. Then, add another slice of logic above it.

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:30 PM
  • No worries, ENGL Imaging Took Kit 10.0.2 is fully compactable with SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 to 1602.

Here is a link to their web site to check out their Imaging product.

https://www.engl.co.uk/

They have videos of the process and very good support, but they are in the UK, so for me it they are 12 hours ahead. So I am up early drinking my coffee looking at my tickets and asking question via updates to the ticket. They use to have webx, but they stop that. Not sure why.

Any way I have Windows 10 fully integrated now. The new SCCM Client fixed their Sliverlight.exe problem. However, I was able to handle the problem through ENGL customization script Before Phase 1 VBS. which called the Silverlight.exe file before the SCCM client was installed for SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 build.

Thank you all for your help.  

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:45 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 10:38 PM