none
Internet Explorer 11 setup cannot recognize it's own /update-no switch? RRS feed

• Question

• Building a package with the Internet Explorer 11 Administration Kit (Internal Distribution) spits out IE11-Setup-Full.exe (which seems to be an IExpress setup) and IE11-Setup-Full.msi. IE11-Setup-Full.exe does not recognize the /update-no switch. Is there any way either of these can be silently deployed without checking for updates?
    Friday, July 25, 2014 7:02 PM

Answers

• I have the same issue with the IEAK 11 packages.

The MSI cannot be deployed because it passes no Params to the setup. The Setup only takes /Q switch and there is nothing to suppress the restart.

I have a feeling we will need to deploy with WSU and apply branding post install.

Does MSFT have any answers for the IEAK packages?

Update:

I built the IEAK package initially on a Windows 8 machine, and it seems this was the problem.

Add IE 11 to a Windows 7 SP1 machine. Install IEAK and create your package. You will notice more options in IEAK and some of those are options to make the install silent.

I just deployed the new IE 11 package via SCCM, and everything is working as expected.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please have a share for how you noticed the /update-no switch is not worked? Which tool are we used here to deploy IE 11?

In addition, To run the package silently, without restarting and without checking the Internet for updates, we could run the following command:

ie11_package.exe /quiet /norestart /update-no

For the command line reference, please see:

Install Internet Explorer 11 (IE11)

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 28, 2014 6:39 AM
  • I've seen the command line reference.

If I pass /? to IE11-Setup-Full.exe (described as a Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor), an Internet Explorer 11 Setup dialog appears that displays this information:

Command line options:

/Q -- Quiet modes for package,

/T:<full path> -- Specifies temporary working folder,

/C -- Extract files only to the folder when used also with /T.

/C:<Cmd> -- Override Install Command defined by author.

Extracting IE11-Setup-Full.exe creates these files:

BRANDING.CAB
       ieadvpack.dll
       ieakcust.dll
       iedkcs32.dll
       IE-REDIST.EXE
       iesetup.cif
       IE-Setup.cmd
       iesetup.ini
       INSTALL.INS

If I pass /? to IE-REDIST.EXE, the Microsoft HTML Application Host produces an Internet Explorer 11 Setup Command Line Switches window that displays the command line switches and their descriptions for Setup Modes (/quiet) and Help, Setup (/update-no), Restart (/norestart) and Miscellaneous Options.

Yes, I could use the extracted files from the customized Internet Explorer 11 package, but according to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 197147, IExpress packages support (as evidenced by the supported switches reported by IE11-Setup-Full.exe) switch /c:path (specifies the UNC path and name of the Setup .inf or .exe file). In this article it is noted that you "can use the /c:path switch to pass parameters (switches) to the Setup program or specify a different Setup program for the package." This example is given:

Ie6setup <IExpress switches> /c:" ie6wzd <Internet Explorer Setup switches>"

I've tried this:

<ParentFolderPath>IE11-Setup-Full.exe /q:a /c:"IE-REDIST.EXE /closeprograms /quiet /update-no"

But that doesn't work either. I'll probably try using the extracted custom package source later today so that I can access that /update-no switch.

Monday, July 28, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Copied the IE11-Setup-Full.exe extraction folder to a virtual machine and remotely scheduled the Internet Explorer 11 install:

at \\<ComputerName> <Time> <ExtractionFolder>IE-REDIST.EXE /quiet /norestart /update-no

If the nine required updates are not installed, the version checks return false and the setup fails with exit code 40007:

00:00.000: INFO:    Setup exit code: 0x00009C47 (40007) - Required updates failed to download.

If the nine required updates are installed, the version checks return true and the setup succeeds with exit code 3010:

00:00.000: INFO:    Setup exit code: 0x00000BC2 (3010) - Installation Succeeded. Reboot required.
    Monday, July 28, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Some prerequisite components need to be installed first before IE 11 setup, we should make sure all the needed updates are installed, so that the install process might run smoothly.

See: Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:00 AM
  • So what is the intended purpose of the /update-no switch?

The /update-no switch, on the Install Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) - Third-party Tools page, is described as "(i)nstalls without checking for updates" and accompanied by the warning "Important: If you don't use this option, you'll need an Internet connection to finish your installation."

Seems the answer might lie in configuration file SETUPDOWNLOADLIST.TXT (found in IE-REDIST.EXE) and the FilesToCheck property attached to certain updates:

>find /c /i "filestocheck" W:\AppData\SETUPDOWNLOADLIST.TXT

----------

W:\APPDATA\SETUPDOWNLOADLIST.TXT: 9

Exactly nine. Coincidence?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:37 PM
  • That seems to be.

The update that listed should consider to install before the IE 11 installation/setup. not for the update after the setup action. Which I thought the updates mentioned in the declaration means the updates that should be installed after the setup. They are not clear here.

Rgds

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:48 AM
  • I have the same issue with the IEAK 11 packages.

The MSI cannot be deployed because it passes no Params to the setup. The Setup only takes /Q switch and there is nothing to suppress the restart.

I have a feeling we will need to deploy with WSU and apply branding post install.

Does MSFT have any answers for the IEAK packages?

Update:

I built the IEAK package initially on a Windows 8 machine, and it seems this was the problem.

Add IE 11 to a Windows 7 SP1 machine. Install IEAK and create your package. You will notice more options in IEAK and some of those are options to make the install silent.

I just deployed the new IE 11 package via SCCM, and everything is working as expected.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:56 PM