none
Some Admin Template settings not available in GPME

Question

• I am trying to configure Offline Files in Group Policy, but there are several settings that appear in the online literature that do not appear in the administrative templates in GPME. I have downloaded the most recent ADMX files (Windows 8.1/Server 2012) and loaded them into the central store. I have verified that the offlinefiles.admx file contains the settings I need. But they are not available to configure when I open up a GPO to edit. Any ideas? Does the domain functional level affect the settings that are available? My domain is at a Server 2008 functional level. I have also made sure that I am not filtering out settings.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:56 PM

Answers

• When you open the GPME and navigate/expand into \Administrative Templates, at the top of the left pane, GPME should show something like "templates retrieved from ...."

Does it say there "local" or "something suggesting CS"? (sorry I can't recall the exact wording)

It might be, that your CS is unavailable or misconfigured, causing the GPME to use the local PolicyDefinitions folder, and if that folder is missing some templates, or has an outdated copy of templates, this could be the issue.

Are you using GPMC/GPME on the DC or on a member machine with RSAT?

You can use the local policy editor GPEDIT.MSC as a test. GPEDIT will refer to the local PolicyDefinitions template store. If GPEDIT is missing the same items compared to GPME, that would suggest a problem with the CS.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:14 PM
  • My apologies to all. It appears that I have been looking under the User settings for something that was under the Computer settings. Thank you for the help nonetheless.

Friday, July 24, 2015 1:26 PM

All replies

• DFL/FFL is not relevant to GP in any way.

When you copied the ADMX into CS, did you also copy the <locale>\ADML files into CS?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:30 PM
  • > several settings that appear in the online literature that do not appear

Which ones exactly? "Online literature" is a broad source of
    information. Some correct, some incorrect :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Yes. ADML files are in the Central Store.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:32 PM
  • Specifically, I am not seeing Background Synchronization and Transparent Caching. Every TechNet article mentions these. Also, every screenshot in the articles shows about twice as many templates in the Offline Files folder than I am seeing my GPME.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Also, the settings are there in both the offlinefiles.admx and the offlinefiles.adml files. They are just not appearing in the editor.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:52 PM
  • When you open the GPME and navigate/expand into \Administrative Templates, at the top of the left pane, GPME should show something like "templates retrieved from ...."

Does it say there "local" or "something suggesting CS"? (sorry I can't recall the exact wording)

It might be, that your CS is unavailable or misconfigured, causing the GPME to use the local PolicyDefinitions folder, and if that folder is missing some templates, or has an outdated copy of templates, this could be the issue.

Are you using GPMC/GPME on the DC or on a member machine with RSAT?

You can use the local policy editor GPEDIT.MSC as a test. GPEDIT will refer to the local PolicyDefinitions template store. If GPEDIT is missing the same items compared to GPME, that would suggest a problem with the CS.

Don

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:14 PM
  • My apologies to all. It appears that I have been looking under the User settings for something that was under the Computer settings. Thank you for the help nonetheless.

Friday, July 24, 2015 1:26 PM

Ah, yes.

You may find this gpsearch tool useful - it shows a user or computer icon to help with that

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#2095

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#2096

Don

Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:54 AM