none
co-location , job waiting for tape: when i insert free tape --- error 3311 RRS feed

• Question

• hi , dpm 2010 with co-location enable, registry setted with max "job waiting time" (i can change full tapes only after 2-3-4 days), but each time , when all tapes are written, dpm asks me a free tape , after 1-2-3 days i put free or expiry tapes in the HP autoloader , i click "continue job" and dpm goes with inventory, but after dpm loads free tape, i always have this error (in that moment):

error 3311

Description: Backup to tape failed.

DPM failed to access the volum

1) Cluster failover during backup or

2) Inadequate disk space on the volume.

i do not have CLUSTER

i do have space on the dpm server and in the protection members.

i think the problem can be this: how long dpm can wait before DELETE shadow copy recovery point used for tape backup of that protection group ?? seems that after some days of "wainting for a free tape" , the link \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1574\ on mydpmserver.domain.intra , does not more exists. can be this the problem ???? how can i fix this problem. (i can't finish my tape backup, tape backups without "job waiting for tape" are OK.

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes indeed, if the recovery point that the tape backup was based on expires, that shadow copy will be deleted, then you cannot rerun the tape backup from the alert. 

Monitor or subscribe to alerts so you can take action sooner. 

I would concentrate on why your tapes are getting marked offsite ready if you need them to be available for a longer period of time.

See the following blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:54 AM
  • thanks,
    - i use co.location beacuse i do not have many GB of tapes (hp 1016 with dlt vs 40-80gb)-->all tapes are written from ALL my protection groups with same retention period , so each tape backup adds data in the same tape until it is full, i think
    - i do not "rerun" the  job but i CONTINUE the job from the active alert "job waiting for tape"
    - the protection group that fails is about 450 GB , the biggest, so when starts to write data for long term backup , all  tapes ( become FULL after some days, i can change with a weekly dpm tape managment report, some free or expires tapes (usually 3-4 tapes from last backup), this is not a problem for me,  the problem is that each time i CONTINUE that job , i have that error ..

i read your link: no autoclean, i have slot 16 with cleaning tape marked in dpm, when there is an error during tape backup, dpm cleans drive and rerun job auto, but after some days , when i must change some tapes to continue the job  --error 3311.

i have 50% and 75% for 2 key of registry with co-location (tolerance and write period)

So you tell me that the error 3311 , in my case,  is beacuse that path does not exist: Solution? need answer to this question....please 
    How long DPM  takes active a RECOVERY POINTS USED FOR LONG TERM BACKUP  (tape)?
    -my long term backup to tapes is one each month (6 month retention all PG) and 1 for year (3 Years retention all PG)
    -My short term backups to disk is 7 days retention. (all PG)

my question is: does tape backup use my short term recovery point (disk) or create his NEW recovery point when starts?
    next question is: if it create NEW recovery point , WHEN this expires? can i set in the registry this TIME??

if use th short term, i think that i must try to change retention period from 7 days to more days? 

but i have 64 shadow copies limit so i must limit also all hours each day.

other suggestion?

thank you.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

You can run this command from an administrative command prompt to see all the shadow copies on the system and display them like my example below.

c:\>vssadmin list shadows | find /i "globalroot"
    Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy93
    Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy94

Q1) my question is: does tape backup use my short term recovery point (disk) or create his NEW recovery point when starts?
    A1)   Yes, DPM mounts the latest short term disk baased recovery point to make the tape based recovery point. 

Q2) my next question is: if it create NEW recovery point , WHEN this expires? can i set in the registry this TIME??
    A2)  A new short term disk based recovery point will expire based in retention goal so for you after 7 new daily backups are created.  Basically at midnight of the 8th day.  However, if a disk recovery points fail for two days, then that will delay the deletion of the oldest for two days.  DPM does not work off of calendar days , it counts days with valid recovery points when deciding when to prune older recovery points.

Any new TAPE bases recovery point will mount the last disk based recovery point and copy that to tape.  If you observe the recovery points under the recovery tab, you will see that the tape recovery point time will always match a disk based recovery point time right before it.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:13 PM
  • ok i will try next 15 of february the script you say.

how can i tell DPM to email me when ALL tape backup are in state of  "job waiting fo a tape" ???

i need that email but i can't set that before, for example  in the Reporting area.

bye

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Waiting for tape is an alert, so just subscribe to receiving alerts and you will get an email.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:31 PM